Muriatic Acid vs. PH Down -- compelling reasons for MA?

tmnt25 said:
So none of you mix the MA in a bucket with pool water first? Pool store told me I had to do it this way...

Just remember for safety and I bet the pool store doesn't mention it........ALWAYS ALWAYS.

ACID TO WATER.........not WATER TO ACID. Very, very important.

Yes you can get a feel for it without measuring, but I think its prudent to measure and pour carefully. Frankly, I don't see the problem here and don't see the point in buying a Pool Store product when common MA does the job as well or better than anything they sell.

^i was referring to transchem muriatic acid at 31%, purchased at Leslie's for less than the other brand I was using from lowes.
I have found the transchem bottle easier to pour and for some reason despite the strength, less volatile in the fumes department. As a lefty whose klutzy and after nearly burning my eye out, I started this thread to find out if, cost notwithstanding, the use of dry versus liquid actually mattered, since I have splash problems when measuring over the pool.

However, just changing to a different bottle shape and discarding the measuring cup but instead estimating volume by pour from the bottle I'm no longer having issues.

In my case, I don't care WHERE I buy the bottle...just that its easier to pour and less noxious. This brand happened to be a a pool stor.

Just remember that concentrated acid is denser than water so you want to pour it in slowly over a return flow and even then you want to lightly brush the area near where you poured to ensure thorough mixing. Having the acid not mixed and pooled at the bottom is as bad as having dry acid settle there. Of course, once mixed, it stays mixed.

Swampwoman said:
^i was referring to transchem muriatic acid at 31%, purchased at Leslie's for less than the other brand I was using from lowes.
I have found the transchem bottle easier to pour and for some reason despite the strength, less volatile in the fumes department. As a lefty whose klutzy and after nearly burning my eye out, I started this thread to find out if, cost notwithstanding, the use of dry versus liquid actually mattered, since I have splash problems when measuring over the pool.

However, just changing to a different bottle shape and discarding the measuring cup but instead estimating volume by pour from the bottle I'm no longer having issues.

In my case, I don't care WHERE I buy the bottle...just that its easier to pour and less noxious. This brand happened to be a a pool stor.

Well that is unusual, but great if it's cheaper and easier to pour..... go for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.