Muriatic acid shelf life

May 29, 2015
Cincinnati/ohio
We found muriatic acid when cleaning out our parents garage. We have no idea how old it is but it’s at least several years. Our pH just so happens to be high but I don’t know if the muriatic acid is safe to use. Or maybe that’s not even a thing? Does it go bad?

Not really. The container could be degraded so I would be very careful handling it. Put the entire thing in a bucket or something just in case it breaks.

You should never store muriatic acid in a garage or shed, etc. The fumes can aggressively corrode metals. Should be stored outside, in a plastic receptacle, to shield it from UV. Heat and cold do not bother it.

Not really. The container could be degraded so I would be very careful handling it. Put the entire thing in a bucket or something just in case it breaks.

You should never store muriatic acid in a garage or shed, etc. The fumes can aggressively corrode metals. Should be stored outside, in a plastic receptacle, to shield it from UV. Heat and cold do not bother it.
Good to know! My dad passed away several years ago so not sure what he was even using it for. It’s actually the in-laws pool that needs it so we will just transfer it here instead of taking it to hazardous waste disposal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.