Muriatic acid best practices

Sivartb000

Apr 13, 2019
San Luis Obispo, California
What is the advised way to handling adding muriatic acid? I've been just "guestimating" additions straight from the gallon jug, testing, and adding more until I'm happy with where I'm at. This allows me to handling the acid as minimal as possible in terms of accidental skin contact. I'm using tfp math app, and its telling me to add 3 cups 3oz to bring me down from 7.8 to 7.2 in my 4600gal pool.

Do you recommend continuing to do it how I am, or should I actuall pour it into a measuring cup? Is it ok to use the same cup as i use for chlorine (rinsing it out really good of course) - or is that dangerous enough that you should always have separate cups? I am aware that chlorine and muriatic acid mixing is extremely dangerous.

Just curious what the general advice here is. Unless it's an overwhelming recommendation to actually measure it out I'll probably continue how I am as it feels safer/less exposure to accidental splashes on the skin as well as fume inhalation.

My pool is about the same size as yours. I do use a measuring cup. One only for the MA. Plastic.

I take the jug to the pool. Dip it in the pool so any acid drips are diluted. Take the lid off, pour what I want into the measuring cup over the pool, dip the bottom of the jug back in the pool, set it down. Put the lid on. Slowly pour the MA into the return stream.

I store the MA (with its measuring cup) in a 20 gallon plastic trash can with lid. Outside.

Reactions: setsailsoon
I handle it once. Lower jug into pool in front of a return so it floats it and takes the weight of the bottle. Tip to pour. No splashing and after I put the top back on, while it’s still in the pool, give it a dunk to clean it. I also guesstimate dosing since I "know" my pool. Recommend gloves and protective eyewear.

MA will corrode any metal nearby. Never store in a garage or shed. The container you store it in needs good ventilation. The plastic trash can I use has a lid that is held on but does not fit tightly.

Reactions: setsailsoon
could i store my acid in a locking plastic toolbox? After reading up on it(im new at this) im thinking the best spot for me would be back by my pump which is behind my fence where the kids never go and gets decent afternoon shade. Both my outbuildings are metal so even with ventilation i dont wanna risk damage/health

Last edited:
I pour directly from the jug into the pool. Before I do I put a line on the jug where the MA level is and I have a measuring stick (aka ruler) that is calibrated in cups so I can put a second line lower for my target. I always seem to add in cup increments. Then I just pour until I get to the second line. Most of the time that line becomes my top line for the next time I add MA. After doing this for years I've gotten pretty good at eyeballing it, but I still draw my target line so I don't overshoot the amount too much.

I use old plastic milk crates to store my chems in, they are open and don't deteriorate in the presence of caustic chemicals and they are easy to wash off in case of a spill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.