Central Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Second pool season. Salt water system. New vinyl liner installed and fresh water in May 2022.
For about the past 2 weeks I’ve noticed a brownish dust on the bottom of the pool, always pretty much in the same areas and only if the pump has been running. Clouds up when brushed or vacuumed. Thinking we might be dealing with algae, we shocked with 9 bags (30k gallon pool) then vacuumed to waste. By the following morning (pump ran overnight) the dust was back again, only slightly less amount. Water is crystal clear.
Test results from 6/7
Salt- 3800
FC- 0
TC- 0
CC- 0
TA- 80
CH- 80
CYA- 0
PH- 7.8
Added 2 gallons of liquid chlorine on 6/8. Following morning 6/9 FC- 3. TC- 3.
Evening of 6/9 FC- 0. TC- 0. Salt 3200.
Today 6/10 FC and TC still 0. Pool is still crystal clear. Will do a complete test again this afternoon.
My husband did all the pool maintenance last year as we have little ones and I am trying to learn as much as I can this year since I am home much more than him.

So my questions are
Is this algae, sand, dust, pollen that I’m dealing with?
Why are my FC and TC at 0 and how do I raise them and keep them where they need to be?
Could my salt cell be bad and if so how do I figure that out?

Second pool season. Salt water system. New vinyl liner installed and fresh water in May 2022.
For about the past 2 weeks I’ve noticed a brownish dust on the bottom of the pool, always pretty much in the same areas and only if the pump has been running. Clouds up when brushed or vacuumed. Thinking we might be dealing with algae, we shocked with 9 bags (30k gallon pool) then vacuumed to waste. By the following morning (pump ran overnight) the dust was back again, only slightly less amount. Water is crystal clear.
Test results from 6/7
Salt- 3800
FC- 0
TC- 0
CC- 0
TA- 80
CH- 80
CYA- 0
PH- 7.8
Added 2 gallons of liquid chlorine on 6/8. Following morning 6/9 FC- 3. TC- 3.
Evening of 6/9 FC- 0. TC- 0. Salt 3200.
Today 6/10 FC and TC still 0. Pool is still crystal clear. Will do a complete test again this afternoon. We currently have the Taylor K-2005 complete test kit and K-1766 salt test kit. Ordered the FAS DPD kit and it should be here Monday.

My husband did all the pool maintenance last year as we have little ones and I am trying to learn as much as I can this year since I am home much more than him.

So my questions are
Is this algae, sand, dust, pollen that I’m dealing with?
Why are my FC and TC at 0 and how do I raise them and keep them where they need to be?
Could my salt cell be bad and if so how do I figure that out?

It will help us to answer if you could fill out your signature with your pool info - I see some of the info below your name, but we could use more info on other items. See my signature below my post for the sort of info we look for. (If you're on a mobile device, turn it sideways to see signatures.)

I have some ideas on what can be happening, but until you get the FAS-DPD most of them won't be able to be applied. For now, it seems like you have something going on with the pool. A CYA of 0 is very odd if you've had CYA in the pool before. I'd recommend just adding 5ppm of chlorine via liquid chlorine until the FAS-DPD tests come in. Something is eating through your FC if it shows none in the pool with the OTO test, and it's questionable on if the salt cell is producing.

Reactions: WWeddle
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.