Multiple delays in build

Lane Lane

Mar 4, 2021
Las Vegas
Hello, I'm in Las Vegas using a PB. Has anyone else been experiencing many delays in their build? I signed my contract on 01.16.21 and I was told the build would be completed by late May/early June. They came out to finalize layout in early March. Excavation happened in mid March (1st payment-40%) and then there was a 5 week delay with plumbers (they said they were backed up) that and steel finished last week (30% payment) next up is shotcrete scheduled for -5/13 (25% payment) but now they are saying decking is backed up at least a month (this is not what they told me a week ago) so they may not be able to finish my pool until possibly July/August! Honestly, I feel like they rush to get their payment and have no incentive to finish in the timeframe that they initially provided. Is anyone else experiencing these kind of delays? I'm getting very frustrated with this PB.

You’ll see many dealing with the same issues in the Under Construction forum. COVID has certainly affected the pool community.

I have never done an in-ground build, so I don’t know if being required to pay 95% while there is still a lot left to do is reasonable or not.

Hello fellow Las Vegas pool owner. I completely understand your frustration with the delays. As I did an owner/build, and contracted with each sub, excavator, plumbers, steel, electrical, shotcrete/gunite, coping/decking, plasterer (quartz) and landscapers. I understand how getting onto the sub's schedule can be a challenge. My build started (excavation) on 9/22/20 and completed (water filled) on 03/01/21. Just a little over 5 months. Hang in there.

Reactions: Lane Lane
Hello fellow Las Vegas pool owner. I completely understand your frustration with the delays. As I did an owner/build, and contracted with each sub, excavator, plumbers, steel, electrical, shotcrete/gunite, coping/decking, plasterer (quartz) and landscapers. I understand how getting onto the sub's schedule can be a challenge. My build started (excavation) on 9/22/20 and completed (water filled) on 03/01/21. Just a little over 5 months. Hang in there.
Hello! Thanks! Congrats on getting the pool filled, in perfect time for the weather that we are having! Let's hope they aren't telling me November the next time I speak to them. :)

Theres a high demand and alot of PBs like to stock with the subs they normally use to avoid issues. I will say the payment schedule is in his favor alot, having 5% hold back isnt alot with not even having plaster. On the other hand singing in january is surprising they could build you a pool this year. Most guys had 2021 season full by labor day last year

Im in Dallas. I went under contract Dec. 2 and my estimated completion date at this point will be Mid June to the end of June. Lengthy build times a delays are pretty common across all warm weather states right now.

Theres a high demand and alot of PBs like to stock with the subs they normally use to avoid issues. I will say the payment schedule is in his favor alot, having 5% hold back isnt alot with not even having plaster. On the other hand singing in january is surprising they could build you a pool this year. Most guys had 2021 season full by labor day last year
Wow and they told me that January was the perfect time in Las Vegas. I definitely should have joined this page before agreeing to those terms of the contract. I'm most concerned about the lack of motivation to complete. Alas, it seems like I don't have much recourse at this point.

Im in Dallas. I went under contract Dec. 2 and my estimated completion date at this point will be Mid June to the end of June. Lengthy build times a delays are pretty common across all warm weather states right now.
Good luck! I hope that it finishes sooner! I just wish the PB didn't tell me literally a few days ago that plumbing was the only delays and everything else will fly by. Then a few days later, you're a month-months backed up. I'm just really confused by the change in such a short time span but I'm also more skeptical by nature :).

I am waiting for pavers to come in and have not been told when to expect them. I got coping from the same company (techo bloc) and didn't have a delay with those. It's still pretty cold where I live and won't be able to run the heater for the first month due to plaster so I am just crossing my fingers that I have things up and running by June

Techo is available down here less than 7 to 10 days on most special orders. Plenty of the common lines in stock. If its gonna be a delay try calling around to see if a yard is sitting on some amd grab it if you need to get finished

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Techo is available down here less than 7 to 10 days on most special orders. Plenty of the common lines in stock. If its gonna be a delay try calling around to see if a yard is sitting on some amd grab it if you need to get finished
Great idea, thanks!

Hi, I’m also in Las Vegas using a pool builder. I signed my contract mid February and my tile is being installed currently, should be complete this week. I was told today I’m on the schedule for decking but it’s about 3 weeks out. Optimistic time frame for completion is end June but no guarantees. All the PB here are super busy, anyone contracting now will be lucky to be done by December. I have two adjacent neighbors building pools as well (different PB than me) both started in January and neither are finished yet.

Hi, I’m also in Las Vegas using a pool builder. I signed my contract mid February and my tile is being installed currently, should be complete this week. I was told today I’m on the schedule for decking but it’s about 3 weeks out. Optimistic time frame for completion is end June but no guarantees. All the PB here are super busy, anyone contracting now will be lucky to be done by December. I have two adjacent neighbors building pools as well (different PB than me) both started in January and neither are finished yet.
Hi Xyla,

Your PB is definitely moving faster than mine it seems. I hope that yours is worth the wait!

Everyone's seems to be moving faster than mine! I'm in southern CA, signed the contract in October 2020, excavation finally started April 2. As of now, we're only as far as gunnite, but discovered the PB made a major plumbing mistake which will now cause even more delay. I'll honestly be surprised if it's complete by the end of the summer. They told us we'd "be swimming by spring" on the day we signed. Swan Pools will be getting a very colorful review posted about them when it's all over.

Reactions: Haku84
@erikpiazza in the fall/winter of 1999, when we lived in south orange county, we had our pool built by Swan Pools. Now, of course, 21 years later everything has changed. At that time, they completed our pool in less than 3-1/2 months. We were pleased with the final results. The pool was the big selling point but the TFP water must have been.

I know this is apples to oranges because so much time has passed. But hang in there. Hopefully, this Swan Pools will make it right for you.

Everyone's seems to be moving faster than mine! I'm in southern CA, signed the contract in October 2020, excavation finally started April 2. As of now, we're only as far as gunnite, but discovered the PB made a major plumbing mistake which will now cause even more delay. I'll honestly be surprised if it's complete by the end of the summer. They told us we'd "be swimming by spring" on the day we signed. Swan Pools will be getting a very colorful review posted about them when it's all over.
My pavers and fence were done almost three weeks ago and nothing since... I feel your pain. The equipment was supposed to be installed last week. I haven't even heard an update on why it wasn't. Crickets. I do know that I am scheduled for plaster/pebble June 16th. Guess there is no rush on the equipment if I have to wait anyway. It is frustrating on the side we are on now, but hopefully we will be cooling off poolside before 2022 :) I have been planting/gardening around the pool, which is probably a mistake since the crew might muck it all up. I want to do something though

I signed my contract Feb 14th and I’m hoping to start excavation this Thursday. Just getting the PB to submit for permits added about 6 weeks! Things are really busy and every time I talk to them the build time seems to stretch out another month. 3m, then 4m and the excavator told me 5m today.

I'm 6 months in to a 3-month build. I was told in early May that my equipment was in the PB's warehouse and they would bring it out when the gas line was installed. Called the gas guy and he said he'd been calling the PB every week since May, but they used my heater on another pool and they don't have any more due to supply problems. I just verbally unloaded on the pool builder. I'm 52 years old and have never sued anybody or been sued. Thinking about suing someone now. Not sure how much that would accomplish, though.

All I want is for just once to have a contractor do what they say they are going do when they say they will do it. And if they can't do what they say they are going to do, or can't do it on time, then they don't lie to me about it. Sadly, that's just too much to ask.

Reactions: Vukota12
I signed a contract last Sept for a June install. The PB and township are still battling over permits...

so who knows...I’m hoping this summer at some point.

• Angry
Reactions: B.lu

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.