Multi Port Valve Leaking Sporadically

Jul 6, 2016
Memphis, TN
I've noticed that sometimes my multi port valve leaks. The other day I noticed it leaking profusely out from under the handle. I stopped everything, changed the handle setting around a little, put it back on filter and turned it back on...no leak. Some quick googling tells me the spider gasket is the likely culprit and it needs to be greased or replaced. Does this sound right?

Another piece of info is that the spring on the handle always seemed loose (I've only owned this pool since last July). It kinda sits in a flimsy, half cocked position when it is not depressed. Is this the way it's supposed to be? Should it sit up where it's flush with the top of the value when not being depressed?

Does anyone have any advice? Tips or tricks on how I don't tear up my valve in the process?

I don't have a picture or part number because I'm not at home, but I believe mine is similar to this:

Pentair HiFlow Multiport Valve 261050. Pentair 261142.

Yeah, it does sound like your spider gasket has gone kaput! I understand it is a fairly straightforward and not too difficult a task to change. Youtube has some videos on this, I seem to recall?

One thing I learned is to only turn the handle in one direction only.. either clockwise or counterclockwise, but not back and forth. That back and forth stuff can cause the gasket to shred a bit.

Sorry I have no ideas on the spring handle issue. I hope someone else comes along with an answer.

Yippee :flower:

Bigdog43

I have a different model Pentair Multiport Valve 261152 but looking at a couple of sites regarding your model valve, the basic parts schematic is similar to my valve.

The source of my handle leak was my Top Valve Cover. The O-ring sealing inner circumference surface was allowing water to leak by the Diffuser Shaft O-rings on my Diffuser Stem.

The part number for your valve would appear to be Pentair 272412 .

I had a valve leak that appears similar to your issue so these threads may help provide some information:

Pentair Multi-port leak

Pentair Multiport Problems

You may want to consider purchasing a spare Top Assembly Pentair 272422 to have on hand whenever the Top Assembly needs servicing. I have a spare one for my valve so I can swap it out and rebuild the original assembly to keep it ready for a fast swap spare.

Actually my part number is 261050, the one in the original post was just an example that looked like mine. I should've looked at mine before posting. The top assembly also has a number on it, 27-2101.

If I wanted to replace the whole top assembly, is this what I need?

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-2724...qid=1489253562&sr=8-3&keywords=261050+pentair

Sorry for posting to a slightly old thread, but I have the exact same multi port valve about 8 years old and I have the exact same small leak coming out of the top assembly where the valve stem is located. I don't have even a drop coming out the backwash/waste port so I doubt my problem is the spider gasket? I was just wondering if you were able to fix the problem with just the top cover or did you go with the whole top assembly? Also, if you did go with just the top cover what did you do about the multi port label? It doesn't appear to me by looking at pictures of Pentair-272412 that it comes with any sort of label. Any advice is appreciated, especially from someone who's experienced the same symptoms!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.