Mud in pool

We had some terrible wind and cold- the super dry air with snow blew lots of dust and soil into my pool. Lots got under the mesh cover, some went through.

I have concerns about leaving it in my pool till spring opening- its a concrete pool with white plaster. Our soils have lots of iron and I dont want staining of the plaster. Everything is winterized now of course, but I could pull the cover and use a trash pump to vaccuum what I can to waste. The issue with that is it seems like it doesnt want to settle out either- small particles. It has been suggested to just put stain and scale inhibitor and ill be ok, others have told me to put in a flocculant, then vaccuum.

A more expensive option would be to pump it out completely then have some two trucks of water come in to re-fill.

Again, I am most concerned with staining of my plaster at this point.

Thanks

This might be one of those occasions where the proper use of floc may be prudent. Let it coagulate all the suspended soil particles then use that trash pump to (gently) vacuum everything that settled to waste. As insurance during the winter, you could still add a dosage of sequestrant to hold you over until you open the pool at which time you could evaluate things better. Others will have some advice as well I'm sure. :)

Can you please fill in your equipment signature?

I have three concerns about floc in your case, though ultimately in the right conditions this a case for it.

The first concern is whether ALUM floc will form properly at your current temperatures. Might be worth investigating.

The second is that to use floc correctly, you must circulate it for 2 hours but your pool is closed.

My third concern is that a trash pump's vigorous action might just churn up the floc, leaving you with a cloudy mess that you'd then need to open the pool in order to vac slowly to waste. You'd be better off with the kind of external commercial vac some pool service companies own.

So, while you look into these aspects further (I will see what I can find out too) add sequestrant in the mean time and stir it around...

i was going to hook the trash pump to my regular vaccuum. then just vaccuum the bottom.

i can use either the trash pump, or a small 1/6hp pump to circulate the water a little if i added the flocculent.

will addition of a sequestrant cause an issue with the flocculent's abilities? not a chemist, but i think it might off the cuff.

It didnt when I flocced. In fact, it removed the spent po4 created by worn down HEDP sequestrant.

So the vac attached to trash pump resolves 1 issue.

What is your water temp and air temp right now? Do you have a heater bypass? And what type of filter do you have?

Alum, which I've personally found effective in the right conditions, works best in terms of forming the "drop" floc with a ph between 6-7, meaning if your ph is high, you need to add more alum. It also works better in warmer and thus more viscous water.

For these reasons, a polyacrylate based floc might be better in cold water. Gotta get back to work but will let you know more if I can dig it up.

Thanks for the input.

It literally just de iced, so I am guessing it's around 35 deg f.

No heater. Everything is winterized- hence the use of the trash pump to make the vaccuum work. Sorry, though that was inferred.

Of course will have to add water after. Might just buy a truckload if needed.

Bought some floc stuff today. Plan to put it in, run my small pump for several hours to circulate it, then let it sit till Saturday when I will vaccuum it out.

What's the brand name and normal application rate on the floc bottle? Giving it extra days to form may help, as will adding more if its an alum based product. Might also help to let it agitate longer. The goal is to get it to bind which I believe the cold may interfere with.

Test your ph before you add and after if its alum and let us know if after 24 hrs you see it start forming/sinking or not.

I bought "swim best super floc out"- thats what my local pool store had.

I read a bit on it and it says it has no alum.

I plan to add tonight and run my little pump as a recirculator for several hours, maybe overnight as its not very powerful. Either way, I have to vaccuum the pool this weekend. No debate on that. Im not sure how much dirt is on the bottom, but could be alot. I want to keep it from staining my plaster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
67e47ecfc64620ffd856d197af155bb1.jpg

A little field modification can save some grief. Vac house to submersible pump.

The image is from a proprietary kit, but there are plenty of ways to do this with what’s readily available.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.