MPS with SWG pool

Mhueholt

Jul 10, 2019
Urbandale, Iowa
I have a 23,000 gal SWG pool. The manufacturer for my SWG recommends using MPS to shock and not chlorine as it may cause cell failure or shortened life due to corrosive nature of high chlorine levels. Unfortunately i was under the weather for about 2 weeks and during that time we had some heavy rains, high temps and trees that dropped their seeds in the pool all at the same time. Of course now i have cloudy water, getting worse each day and my SWG cant keep up. I cleaned the filter and need to SLAM the pool. I'm hesitant to use liquid chlorine because of manufactures recommendation. One addition I did this year to the pool was I added divert valves at the inline SWG cell so I could isolate and bypass the cell. My reasoning was at the time it was to cold to run the cell but I needed the filter operating. I could bypass the cell now and SLAM the pool with liquid chlorine and wait for chlorine levels to comedown before restarting the SWG. I'm looking for suggestions on using MPS to shock VS bypassing SWG and using liquid chlorine to SLAM. Currently CYA is 70, Salt is at 4,000 PPM, PH 7.5, Alkalinity 110, FC 0

The manufacturer for my SWG recommends using MPS to shock and not chlorine as it may cause cell failure or shortened life due to corrosive nature of high chlorine levels.
That's impressive since it's very literally the exact opposite of the truth...

Regular use of MPS will raise the sulfate level. High sulfates in the water speeds up corrosion of the SWG cell. We strongly discourage the use of MPS or dry acid specifically because of this.

Meanwhile chlorine level has very little to no effect on the cell of an SWG. Especially if it's within TFP spec, the chlorine is going to be really mild and not a problem at all even at SLAM levels. Nothing to worry about.

And welcome to TFP!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.