Moving to automation from old mechanical Internatic clock

azsoccerpop

Mar 21, 2022
gilbert az
My play pool was installed 15+ years ago with a single speed mechanic clock. I replaced with a Pentair intelliflo vsf 011031 a few years ago. I have Homassistant in my home and just put a 13kW solar PV system on my roof. I want to make the pool smarter with chemical and pump control. I am also replacing the original 120v pool light with an led poolexa color light. Debating between a used Easytouch with nodejs vs the newer Intelliconnect which does not have anything for Home assistant yet. Any help is appreciated

Welcome to the forum.
There are many options. Some more DIY than others.
I would suggest you temper the thought of chemical 'control'. A Saltwater Chlorine Generator would be a great addition for chlorine addition. But control of it should be via testing, not some probe or other 'automated' system. They simply do not work well.

I'll just chime in and second what @Katodude states above.
You don't need an expensive off-the-shelf pool controller. It sounds by your DIY statements and by you already using HA, that you are a prime candidate for implementing nodejspoolController (Nixie) and associated software, bindings and integrations.

1708227975220.png

Had njspC (Nixie), been available when I implemented pool automation back in 2018, I would NOT have purchased the Pentair IntelliCenter. In fact, although I use the IntelliCenter, I still control it and my pool equipment via njspC.

In addition, I utilize relayequipmentManager (REM) GitHub - rstrouse/relayEquipmentManager: A hardware controller for GPIO, I2c, SPI, and generic devices., to control and manage my chemical sensors (pH, ORP, EC, MA Dosing Pump, etc.), IntelliChlor (SWCG) and my automatic acid dosing relay. REM is designed to integrate seamlessly with njspC. On top of all that, if you want real-time monitoring, graphing and historical logging of your pool equipment and chemical status, Influx/Grafana also integrates with the two above systems and several of us are using that as well.

As @Katodude stated, were here to help if you want to go down this path.
r.

p.s. As @mknauss was getting to above, you should always backup any automated chem monitoring/dosing with good old fashion pool testing procedures (TF-100). I certainly do.

EDIT: Oh yea, on this topic of possible overdosing. If you are considering using njspC combined with REM, there are several safety protocols to prevent a dosing "runaway" or "Overdose" situation when it comes to automatic Muriatic Acid or Liquid Chlorine dosing (for those using a LC tank). This is accomplished via user-definable settings within the njspC pH (and ORP) settings pages. The user can select both a Max Volume (mL) per dose as well as a maximum limit (mL) of MA (or LC) on a rolling 24 hour basis. As an example, in my case, the Max Volume of MA that my system can dose based on a preset pH level at any one time is 150mL. And It will not dose more than 600mL in any given rolling 24 hour period. The user can also select to NOT dose during a possible freeze condition. If using a SWCG, the user can select whether to use the chlorinator settings or dynamically based on a defined ORP setpoint. I personally use chlorinator settings as I find ORP a bit wonky (a whole other topic). I do use ORP however to just give me an idea or measurement of sanitizer effectiveness. That's all I use my ORP measurements for. Guess I'm a little less trusting of ORP values compared to my pH and EC values/sensors. When I do manual testing and compare those values to my sensor values, my pH and EC values are usually about right on.

1708286072255.png

Lastly, you can monitor your MA (or LC) tanks from within njspC. And you always have the option to dose manually should you need to, via the njspC desktop.
1708287023713.png

Last edited:
The most popular full DIY system is here:

It’s what I use, and many members here do as well. It will do everything that any other store bought system will (and much more). Also has integration with HA.

Read up, ask questions, we are here to help.
Does NJSPC work with the new Intelliflo3? It appears it only has wi-fi on board?

So I have started down the path of njsPC on an RPi 4b I had laying around. I purchased an RS485 Waveshare CAN Hat for the Pi but it is not supported right out of the box. Amazon.com . I may have to send it back unless I can get Relay Equipment Manager to recognize it. I still have to get the cable for the VS pump (ebay or offerup) and the decide how to measure temp,orp,ph without spending a bunch on Atlantic Scientific EZO. I previously repurposed a Bluetooth solution called Phin which is no longer made or supported. Ablog online gave me all the information I needed to reverse the code into ESPhome for Homeassistant and it cost me $40 for all 3 measurements. Lastly will be the control of the Poolexa bluetooth color LED. I have til May 1st to decide if I keep this or go with a used Intellibrite with either around $300.

I am still debating njsPC into an Easytouch vs Nixie. I can pick one up for around less than $200 used. Other than the cost and replacing the Intellimatic box what is the downside considering 8 relays, possibly the intelliclor transformer and controller (Although I did Jandy salt cell when I 1st started the pool and was not impressed as it could not keep up in Az)

1st step is completed. Waveshare RS485 CAN Hat installed and RS485 connection to Intelliflo VS pump is operational. I am honestly working my way through the setup and trying to understand circuits and how they tie in with schedules and pumps. Next add will be pool temp,ph,orp. Ideally would love to put all the probes into the autoleveler or the skimmer container and not have a seperate plumbing solution. but TBD. Last is going to be an attempt to add the bluetooth poolexa light.