Moving to a home with a pool

GWagz

Jun 15, 2019
Fort Mill, SC
First time pool owner in the Southeast here, and I've been trying to educate myself in pool maintenance as quickly as possible since my wife and I are purchasing a home next month and with the home comes a pool. We've had a pool inspection done and everything is looking good so far. 20x40 ft free form concrete pool with PebbleTech and spill over spa. Other equipment includes Pentair IC40 Intellichlor SWG, Jandy CV460 cartrdige filter, Hayward cl200 in-line tab feeder, Pentair Minimax 400 heater, and Waterway SMF-115 single speed pump, and CompPool Cp3400 controller. I'm sure there are a few other things that I'm missing and once it is officially I'll know more.

One quick, and hopefully not too dumb of a question. The pool that I will be adopting has Pentair IC40 Intellichlor SWG and also a Hayward cl200 in-line tab feeder. Is there a reason why the previous owner would have had two methods of adding chlorine to the pool? Benefits or drawbacks of having both?

Thanks so much and once I take official ownership of the pool next month, and starting on this journey of pool ownership, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

One quick, and hopefully not too dumb of a question. The pool that I will be adopting has Pentair IC40 Intellichlor SWG and also a Hayward cl200 in-line tab feeder. Is there a reason why the previous owner would have had two methods of adding chlorine to the pool? Benefits or drawbacks of having both?

Thanks so much and once I take official ownership of the pool next month, and starting on this journey of pool ownership, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!
Well, first of all in my experience, the pool inspection was probably worhtless. It made you feel better, but didn't tell you any more than if you went over and flipped the switch and turned on the pool pump yourself.

Like many people, the previous owner probably got "snookered" into a tab feeder at first and then finally figured out a SWG is the way to go. Lets hope that is the case.

Be ready, to know what is going on with your pool we will need accurate test results we can trust, and those don't come from a pool store. We base our pool care system on your personal accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 test kit.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

While entirely optional, I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:

So, welcome to TFP!!

You couldn’t have come to a better informed or kinder place. I love TFP Doing pool testing is intimidating but is just following the instructions and counting drops. It is completely worth it to only put in what your pool needs.

Read pool school recommendations above. They help so much in giving you a good idea of what is going on with your pool water.

My dream house came with a pool and I was completely overwhelmed. Starting season 2 and I couldn’t be happier I found TFP.

The entire concept revolves around test results. So order your kit now. I know it seems like an expensive purchase but it is nothing compared to the fleecing that the pool stores will do to you. I spent $700 in magic potions and horrible advice (in one month ?) from the pool store before I found TFP. The rest of the season I spent around $50.

• Love
Reactions: bmoreswim