Moving pump and filter below water level. What valve arrangement? How to cut new return into vinyl?

a34536

May 30, 2011
Dorset, UK
I have a 32,000l vinyl pool in the UK. It is 12ft x 24ft x 4ft. It is built on sloping ground, so one end is in ground, and the other is above ground with a retaining wall. There is a 6ft wide patio deck all the way around the pool.

The pump and filter are 1ft above water level on the uphill side of the pool. It has 1 main drain, 1 skimmer and 1 return.
IMG_20191110_141607.SMALL.jpeg
I am moving the plant room to the far side of the pool where it will be below water level. I'll lay new pipes from the skimmer and from wherever the main drain pipe comes up to ground level, and I'll cut in a new return on the side of the pool closest to the new plant room.

Wondering what the standard valve arrangement is to allow for maintenance. Is it just a single normal shutoff valve on each inlet and return pipe like I have at the moment? Should I use the Jandy neverlube valves which would let me automate them if I wanted to?

The vinyl liner is 4 years old. How risky is it to cut in a new return on the side of the pool nearest the new plant room?

Cheers,

I would only use Jandy NeverLube valves. Ball valves will get difficult to turn over time.

Since I don’t know what you have I can’t comment on how it should change.

Hi, current setup is

Ball valve on skimmer inlet, ball valve on main drain inlet,

3 way motorised neverlube valves to divert water to
  1. Solar matting (hosepipe in the sun).
  2. ASHP.
  3. Heat exchanger for gas boiler.
Solar matting will be above water level on the roof. Valve will be below water level.
ASHP and boiler heat exchanger will be below water level.

I don't have any non-return valves at the moment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.