Moving multiport valve position with pump on

BobN54

Jun 17, 2014
Manteo, NC
Everywhere instructs you to turn off the pump before changing the multi-port valve's position; else the seal may be blown. Now that I have a SuperFlo VS pump, that is a pain because it puts the pump into prime mode every time the power is turned on. Is it really such a no-no to quickly move from filter to waste and back for vacuuming while leaving the pump on? OK, I admit; I did it once when I forgot to turn off the pump; no ill effects observed.

YMMV but......

I have the intelliflo pump and set speed 1 to 750 RPM. At this speed my pressure and flow are low enough that i am comfortable moving the multiport valve while pump is running however i would not move the valve with the pump running any faster.

I even temp fate further by opening the pump pot and quickly removing the basket and then closing the lid again while i clean out the pump basket.

YMMV but......

I have the intelliflo pump and set speed 1 to 750 RPM. At this speed my pressure and flow are low enough that i am comfortable moving the multiport valve while pump is running however i would not move the valve with the pump running any faster.

I even temp fate further by opening the pump pot and quickly removing the basket and then closing the lid again while i clean out the pump basket.

Jay,
That sounds like a good compromise. I'll give it a try.

Don't turn the valve with the pump on. You can water hammer the system and damage things.

You can adjust the priming speed or even turn priming off.

Or, you can use QuickClean. Quick clean goes right to the speed without priming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.