Moving ... from Newark, DE to Allen, TX - any pointers for a Texas pool owner?

peril

LifeTime Supporter
May 20, 2012
Allen, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Hi Everyone - I'm moving from the Northeast to Dallas, and changing from a vinyl 28k to a pebbletec 35k (no idea on volume really) - challenges in the northeast were

1) full sun algae - responded well to borax, brushing and chlorine
2) opening / closing leaf load (mostly just due to wet leaves blowing in over nor'easters)
3) pool water bags - winter / spring wastage

Any pointers for a person migrating from vinyl to pebbletech, and then specific challenges in the south? I fully intend to borax again, cause I loved the feel of it, but need to see what the chlorine source is, and then figure out the current state of the water chemistry.

Step # 1 will be buying my new tft kit and getting my water chemistry right ...

--Adrian

Adrian,

Here in the DFW area, the only difference between winter and summer, pool wise, is that it is too cold to swim in the winter... :mrgreen:

Most pools down here are open all year long.. No closing, no opening, no water bags, covers, wastage (whatever that is), etc...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: RMcGirr83
wastage is my name for the loss of the water bag due to freezing in the winter - or just from handling at opening :)

Love that no closing - saves a lot of effort, and will be pretty to look at over the winter months.

-Adrian

Adrian,

Here in the DFW area, the only difference between winter and summer, pool wise, is that it is too cold to swim in the winter... :mrgreen:

Most pools down here are open all year long.. No closing, no opening, no water bags, covers, wastage (whatever that is), etc...

Thanks,

Jim R.

We moved from CT to Texas last year. Pool was finished in November and plaster is still curing. It's awesome going from 98 degree temp to an 88 degree water temp. Miss my friends but so far most have visited us and they are quite jealous of the weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add...you may end up dealing with a few TX critters depending on your location. We lived on a couple of wooded acres north of Ft.Worth so snakes, tiny scorpions, armadillos, and hawks frequented the backyard. I never knew an armadillo could swim but they can...at least for a little while. We scooped him out before finding out how long.

GO HENS! (and will be on the watch for critters in the suburbs of Allen, TX)

:) Thanks all - I'll post pump pictures tomorrow after settlement- it's a jandy pump / pebbletech setup with a nature 2 mineral thingy that I"m gonna cut out as soon as I get my toolbox, and then convert it to borax and the simple method. I'm figuring the pool water is like 99 degrees which isn't all that great for being a refreshing experience, so looking into the misto coolers, and seeing how to best track and trend sun / air and water temp.

checking these out ... and then I need to build a couple of cheapie wifi type thermocouples and data loggers.

Pool Cooler - Residential

--Adrian

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We're not that far from you and our water has topped out at 89 so far (and only 18K gallons), so with 35K gallons yours should be even cooler...can't see how your water would be 99 degrees? We have no shade on the pool until about 5pm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.