Motor working, pump not pumping

Jul 16, 2015
Lindale, TX
I've got a Century Centurion motor (B849) that is working fine, but I'm not getting and water movement. I've checked the impeller by taking a screwdriver and making sure it will spin freely, and it does. I've made sure there is a good seal on the o-ring (using silicone) and there is. I've got nothing when the motor turns on. I even just ran it briefly with the cover off to see if there was any movement in the water and there is nothing. I don't know what model the pump is. There are no stickers that I can find.

What is my next step? Here is a pic of he pump and motor.

a1facc5d1cc728894118be08c7a539ad.jpg

Thanks
Cory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sticker on the side of the motor in the pic should give the hp and motor info. Is there water in the basket? Did you fill it with a hose? How long are you letting it run to give it time to prime? Are there any valves on the suction side? Is the valve set to draw water from the skimmers or drain or both?

It is a 1.5 hp AO Smith.
890f2dbf757c1db6b50a55c685078e4c.jpg

Water is in the basket (I filled it with a hose). Gave it a 30 seconds or so to see if it would prime and it didn't.

When I stated above that I ran it with the cover off, I was referring to the cover on that basket. I was seeing no movement of the water in the basket when I ran it for a few seconds with the cover off.

I only have a return from the skimmer in the pool and there is no obstruction there.

I thought hp was an attribute of the motor. Please forgive my ignorance if I am wrong. Will I be able to keep the motor and replace just the pump? There is a lot I don't understand about this. [emoji53]

That is true there is a motor and and a pump housing that the motor is bolted too. You might be able to replace just the pump and impeller. I was referring to replacing the entire assembly.

There are 6 bolts that hold the motor and seal plate assembly into the housing of the pump. Take the 6 bolts out and pull out the motor and seal plate assembly. Then, remover the diffuser to check the impeller.

The motor is bolted to the seal plate with 4 screws, do not remove those 4 screws.

Disconnect the bond wire first to allow the motor and seal plate assembly to move backward.

Get some 2x4s to set the motor on so that it's not sitting in water when you pull out the motor.

Note: It looks like the motor and seal plate were replaced in about 2010.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, it looks like you need a new impeller. Looks like a C-105-236P (Stamped on the impeller). Replace the impeller, seal, diffuser gasket and housing gasket. Does the motor seem ok?

The seal plate might be damaged. If it is, you will need to replace that as well.

Maybe consider replacing the pump. You could go to a smaller single speed or a two speed pump.

Have you pulled out the second set of bolts (6?) that hold the motor to the pump and see if it will slide off the shaft yet ??

Attachments

• broken impeller.jpg
    broken impeller.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 34

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.