Motor starting to hum...am I in trouble?

Jul 21, 2013
Well I am pleased to say for the first time in many many years we opened to a crystal clear pool!

Our sand filter and motor have followed us through multiple upgrades (multiple Intexs from 18' to 24', maybe 10 years old?) and I just noticed her humming. We had finished vacuuming (yes motor catch basket? emptied) and noticed the slight hum. I am thinking she might be saying time for a new one? I have been researching, here and the net, and I am more confused than ever. From what I can gather our filter (probably 18"???) should be much larger. The horse power seems fine but all the "googling" is saying I need 1.5 hp. Although from what I am reading here 1 hp is fine. I am looking at a dual speed 1.5 or 1 hp (looking for clarification). But not sure of the sand filter size either 21", 22", or 24". The descriptions aren't giving me flow rates or sq ft, which is what I think I am supposed to be looking for. Information overload. Our old system worked fine, but probably not efficiently with the much larger pool. Pool details are in signature, but I will include them here. I am hoping for help determining my needs. This really shouldn't be this confusing. Hubby says just get the Harris 24" filter with 1.5hp single speed on Amazon. I would but I want the dual speed and have never heard of Harris.

33' round 54" deep Magnus Hybrid Vinyl Liner, Wide mouth skimmer with one return jet. All equipment is right behind skimmer and return jet (which are close to each other). I calculated gallons at close to 28,800.

Thank you! I really didn't want to post because this question has been asked a zillion times. I know I have read all the posts! :D

Unless you are running spa jets or a large waterfall, a smaller pump is going to be better than a larger pump for filtering and energy consumption. However, when comes to filters, the opposite is usually true. Bigger is better so you don't have to clean it so often but that is the main reason.

Thank you for the reply. No extras.. With some additional searching I believe I need no smaller than a 24" sand filter. It seems the inches correlate with gallons or at least close. With all my searching it seems it all comes down to plumbing. Pool return jet is 1.5" as is all of the plumbing to filter and motor. I followed the advice of many post from the forum about starting with filter. Now my confusion is the motor. I am pretty set on a 2 speed 1hp. My concern is that all 1hp are not the same, again with all the confusing info on the net. What should I look for? I am looking at the Tidalwave/Bluewave with the Harris sand filter. The other low end is Sunsolar? If indeed hp is not the same, than I should be able to go with 3/4 hp on better brand???

I run with a 1/2 HP two speed so really you can't go too small. Have you thought about combo units that combine the filter and pump together.? They generally show larger pumps with larger filters but the pumps are not all that powerful so the label HP can be deceiving.

Yes and yes. The Harris 24" filter comes with a 1.5hp motor at a steal. But I really wanted the 2 speed. We tend to leave ours running all day, and as stated in many of the threads we probably don't need to be running that long. I just know with our current pump a 1hp, I can't vacuum with anything less. If it's plumbed with 1.5" pipe, from what I am understanding, the higher hp doesn't add much anyway. Is that correct? Thank you again for your response.

If it's plumbed with 1.5" pipe, from what I am understanding, the higher hp doesn't add much anyway.
Yes, adding HP doesn't change the flow rate much. What is your current 1 HP pump make/model? There could be other reasons that pump isn't vacuuming well such as a dirty filter. Do you clean your filter at a 25% pressure rise?

Pentair 18" sand filter and Century AO Smith motor 1 hp... it vacuums fine. I am just afraid it I don't have at least the 1hp it won't vacuum well. I have a rechargable vac but you know how those batteries are after a few years.

I have been scouring the sticky several times and think it is starting to sink in. I am still leaning toward the Harris 24" sand filter, says 2.8 ft not sq ft?? GPM should be fine, it doesn't specify but says 50 PSI which I think is quite close to 60gpm. Although if money weren't an inhibitor the Pentair Tagleus TA60 would be a no brainer. If indeed the sq ft is a factor. Now back to the pump, the sticky boggled my brain with all the calculations about the motor. The curve etc is beyond me until I read it a few more times. Many of the pumps I have looked at don't include the chart with the curve. Since the sticky says not all motors are actually 1hp for example and your running your pool at 1/2hp, I am clueless how to select the right motor. Uprated? Full rated? And we are restricted to household current. My equipment is right behind skimmer and return so I don't think head is a large factor. If I even really understand that term. I tried looking at the spreadsheet on the sticky and again it isn't sinking in to a newbie like me. I do know the motor should have less gpm than the filter. I think I have seen on other forum posts gpm isn't the best way to determine needs, but again my brain is on overload.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.