Motor problems

Waaaaay cheaper to run. Residential pools really only need high for spa/backwash/vacuum operations. Low speed 1/10 to 1/4 hp is fine for circulation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just remembered your comment about a 4000 gallon pool. See the thread below for part numbers, impellers and motors discussed. You could easily drop to a 1 hp b2975t with a 1 hp impeller (get the foot with the knockout) and save some money on run time / have an easy install.

Note that the 2975 is bigger around than the stock motor, hence the need for the foot with the knock out.

Assuming 230v ... If 115 back to the drawing board.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/showthread.php?t=76349

Check out pool supply world or inyopools. Post up your shopping list and I'll verify what I can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edit
Found the b2977t - no impeller replacement needed as it matches your current impeller. Personally I would do that and the foot. Either of the above place should have both.

Karmabiker,

Thanks. I've located the B2975T on poolsupplyworld.com:

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/US-M...ent-Pool-and-Spa-Motor-6513A-230V/EB2975T.htm

$456 is a little more $$ than I had in mind, is that price due to the 2 speed motor feature?

inyopools has a B975T for $310.

http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00000017069219.htm

It has a digital timer sitting atop the motor. I already have a wall mounted clock timer. I wonder if I can find this motor w/o the timer. I'm calling them today to ask.

I did confirm that I have a Superpump. Found the manual tucked away in a corner.

If you drop the T off the end of the part number - it is the same motor without the timer.

You would need to add additional wiring or a switch at the motor to do the high/low switching in addition to the timer on the wall. Looks like the motor at inyo is actually the same thing (check out the alternate part numbers), good find.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
looong conversation w/sales rep (alex) @ poolsupplyworld.....claims that there is a lot of hype about 2 speed motors.....when I googled the subject, could not find anything that disagreed with him, just lots of "white papers" primarily from manufacturers touting this feature....and energy.gov recommends downsizing the pump, since installations have larger than needed HP ratings.

I'm going from a 1.5hp to 1hp, so aren't I essentially reducing my energy draw by 33%. For a 4000g (mas o menos) pool, I wonder how much I will save by actually paying the extra $$ for a 2 speed motor. Are there any "case studies" that people have contributed to this subject?

I've sent a msg to our local coop asking this same question. If this isn't the right place for this question (meaning thread), feel free to move it to it's rightful location.

thx again

When I did the replacement on mine the calculation came out to roughly $400 / year to run the 1 speed for 6 hours a day and roughly $70 to run the 2 speed on low for 6 hours a day.

There are a few calculators around ... this one lets you plug your own numbers:
http://www.usmotors.com/Energy-Efficiency/Pool-Calculator.aspx

But to get a 2 speed to operate with my clock timer, you say I would need to install a switch. Would that be like a manual switch to get high speed for vacuum cleaning, and low for water turnover?

When I used the energy calculator on a 4k gallon pool running 4 hours a day for 6 months, said I would save $85/yr. I used a 50GPM flow rate, $ .11kwh. Sound right?

But again, this is the manufacturer's web site. I can find nothing (the internet is a big place!) independently verifying this....

correct on the switch.

No idea on the flow rate. I used amps and watts. The total dollars over a 6 month period do pass the smell test.

My electric bill verified it for me :)

Ok pump has arrived w/boot...ready to install

How do I keep moisture out of this one? The 2 yr old pump had a lot of mineral deposits on the front face of the motor, inside the motor mounting plate and the shaft at the rear of the motor inside the wiring cover was rusted. In fact, all 4 long bolts were so rusted they broke as I tried to unscrew them.

Plus lots of mineral deposits between the seal plate and the motor mounting plate.

Being more than 1/8 inch off the ground should help. Some folks build a dog house type roof over their pumps to keep the rain off....

Mineral deposits on the front of the motor and the rusted bolts would indicate a leak to me. With the new seals everything should be nice and tight. If there is water under / around your motor it's time to look for a cause.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.