Motor identification

Shane1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2010
Buckeye, AZ 85326
Hey all its been a while since I've been on the site.
I need help with ordering and new pump motor along with anything else I might need to do the replacement correctly. I cant seem to find the exact model number for replacement so I am hoping for some guidance with that. I have attached a pic of the tag on my current motor. TIA

Attachments

• 20170123_120851.jpg
    20170123_120851.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 42
Thanks for the recommendations and advice. I believe my pump runs on 115V. Can anyone recommend a direct replacement for my current pump? I have found several options online but none of them seem to cross reference. Any help is appreciated.

The Magnetek only has 1.25 total HP. The Hayward has a total of 1.85 H.P.

Motors are sized by total HP. Total HP is rated (label) HP multiplied by the service factor (S.F). Your current motor has a total of 1.85 HP. If you keep the same impeller, you have to use a motor with at least 1.85 total HP.

If you don’t want to go to a two speed motor, I would suggest that you at least step down the HP by one level. If you switch the impeller to part number SPX3207C, you can use the following motor.

Hayward Motor, 3/4hp Full Tristar 115/208-230v (spx3207z1ber, HSQ1072) - INYOPools.com

The Hayward motor has a total H.P. of 1.85, where as the the B2853 is only 1.25hp. Because you should stay with a equivalent HP you would have to go with the B2842, which is slightly more total hp. Is there a number on the impeller?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pump should be model number SP3210EE, which is a 1 HP Full rate Pump with impeller number SPX3210C.

This is the same pump as the Max rate SP3210X15.

Even though the motor is labeled as a total of 1.85 HP, I suspect that it’s really the same motor as one listed as a total of 1.65 HP.

Even though the motor is labeled as a total of 1.85 HP, I suspect that it’s really the same motor as one listed as a total of 1.65 HP.
I don't think it is the same. Hayward pumps generally use larger motors than standard motors and from my experience, it is because they are more powerful pumps for the given label HP. If you compare the 1 HP TriStar (1.85 THP) head curve with the 1 HP Whisperflo (1.65 THP), the TriStar has a higher flatter head curve which would require a larger motor.

The SP3210X15 is a Max rate Tristar with a 1.5 rated HP and a 1.1 SF for a total of 1.65 total HP.

The SP3210EE is a full rate Tristar with a 1.0 rated HP and a SF of 1.85 for a total of 1.85 total HP.

Both pumps use the same impeller, a SPX3210C.

The impeller determines the horsepower needed. If a 1.65 total HP motor will drive a SPX3210C on a Max rate SP3210X15, it will work on a SP3210EE.

The SP3210X15 is a Max rate Tristar with a 1.5 rated HP and a 1.1 SF for a total of 1.65 total HP.
Yes but it has a different head curve than the SP3210 per measurement data. I can't explain it but according to test data (CEC or EnergyStar) the SP3210 (1.85 THP) has the same head curve as the SP3210X152 (1.85 THP), same flow rates for all three plumbing curves. However, the SP3210X15 (1.65 THP) has a lower head curve. Flow rates for the later are less than the other two pumps for all three plumbing curves. So although they may use the same impeller, something is different in the pump. You can risk it if you want, but I wouldn't.

One more thing, it is not just the impeller that determines the load on the motor but the entire wet end.

The performance data given for both pumps in the link below shows identical performance.

TriStar | Pumps | In Ground Pool Pumps - Hayward Pool Products

Click on specs and scroll down to Pump Output (GPM) vs. Total Resistance to Flow (Feet of Head).

However, when comparing the pump curves, the Full rate does show about 8 to 15 gpm more in the 30 to 70 feet of head range.

The motor rated at 1.85 total HP lists 7.4 amps at 230 volts and 14.8 amps at 115 volts in the manual. It lists 7.7 amps at 230 volts and 15.4 amps at 230 volts for the 1.65 total HP model. So, higher power usage for the 1.65 total HP pump than the 1.85 total HP pump.

I think that it just goes to show that there is quite a bit of flexibility and variability in how these things are rated and reported.

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/literature/TriStar_MAXRate_v8.pdf

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/literature/TriStar_FULLRate_v6.pdf

https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/TriStar.pdf

https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/parts-diagrams/TriStar.pdf

The SP3210X152 (1.85 THP) is the same as the SP3210X15 except that the SP3210X152 has a low speed.

The SP3210X15 is the exact same pump as the SP3210EE. It uses all of the exact same parts including the Pump Strainer Housing.

The motor rated at 1.85 total HP lists 7.4 amps at 230 volts and 14.8 amps at 115 volts in the manual. It lists 7.7 amps at 230 volts and 15.4 amps at 230 volts for the 1.65 total HP model. So, higher power usage for the 1.65 total HP pump than the 1.85 total HP pump.
That may be true but it doesn't mean that every 1.65 THP motor on the market is going have those specs. If the OP goes out and gets any old 1.65 THP motor, it may have current limits that are far lower than that motor. All I am saying is to be careful when recommending motor sizes. Technically, the current limits are probably far more important than the THP of the motor. So that is what I would go by. Plus it doesn't hurt to go with a slightly larger motor. It will tend to run a little cooler which is not a bad thing.

While I do think that the 1.65 will work, I won't recommend it due to warranty. If the motor fails within the warranty period, the claim might be denied on the basis of overload because the manufacturer specifies 1.85.

I would suggest going to a smaller motor/impeller combo.

Either one or two steps down depending on the flow requirements.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.