Motor died, I need help

May 20, 2008
Waldorf, MD

Here is my pump and filter set up. Just opened my pool today and my pump motor is bad. There are several things wrong with it and I have been limping it along for a couple of years. This set up is 15 years old.
I am trying to go cheap as possible. I am moving in 4 years and don't want to spend a grand on an entire new set up.

I found this on the interwebs

sQw8fY3.jpg

It feels like the easiest choice. It is an exact replacement. I should be able to swap it right out correct?

My questions
1. what HP pump do I need? I cant read the old motors rating.
2. I could go with almost any pump and motor correct?
3. I would just need to adjust the plumbing if I went with another motor?
4. If I order this part onlime, it will take a week to get to me. Do I just use a sump pump to run water through pillow stuffing until the pump is installed? My pools is green.
5. I tried to get the unions off that connect the pump to the plumbing and I could not get them to move. What is the trick to removing them? Is there a tool?

You've got unions on the plumbing, so pulling that whole pump assenbly should be only a matter of a couple wires and the two pipes.

Pull it and take it to a reputable pool store. They'll probably be able to identify and match up the motor and replace it wand the seals. Then you put it back in position.

If you can find any information off the pump or motor, you might not even have to disconnect the plumbing to find a replacement motor. The motor comes off the wet end with a few bolts. It can be changed in position without disturbing any of the plumbing.

Check this out. If you can find any model numbers -- pump or motor -- these guys might be able to help
How To Choose The Right Replacement Pool Pump Motor - INYOPools.com

Replacing the motor would be a cheaper alternative. We may be able to determine the HP if you remove the impeller and look for a part number. Check out "How to Replace the Motor On Your Pool Pump". It is a general guide and some of the steps might be slightly different for the Magnum. However, it will show you how to get to the impeller and remove it.

My impailer just spins. Im holding the shaft on the other side, but the impailer spins and does not come off. I called INYO and sent pictures. At this point I would rather just replace the entire set up, espically if it is an exact match.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.