Moon dust anyone? (what wet edge calls abalone shells I believe)

Jan 11, 2018
Philly Pa
Hi, We're doing Wet Edge luna quartz in Bermuda and I am debating the moon dust. Has anyone used it? Do you like it? Any downsides? It's cheap enough ...you know hundreds instead of thousands like all of my other "upgrades" haha

Thanks!

Jill

Hi, We're doing Wet Edge luna quartz in Bermuda and I am debating the moon dust. Has anyone used it? Do you like it? Any downsides? It's cheap enough ...you know hundreds instead of thousands like all of my other "upgrades" haha

Thanks!

Jill

In past years we have seen threads pop up with people that used Abalone shell in their plaster and it was causing small brown stains to form in rings around the abalone. It was due to improperly sourced abalone product that would leach contaminants into the plaster and cause discoloration.

As long as the abalone product is coming from WetEdge and is warrantied directly by them against staining, I would be very hesitant to pull the trigger on that. You need to talk to your plaster installer and wet edge to ensure that they will cover stains that develop from contaminated abalone.

Oh man, I certainly don't want to add anything that can cause more issues down the road.

Thanks

Glass beads are another alternative to add “shimmer & sparkle” to a pool surface. Glass would be inert but quite a bit more expensive than abalone shell.

Also, you’d want to ask the plaster applicator about their application process. The most effective way to get the look you want is for the additive to be hand-broadcast on the surface and then pushed in with a trowel. Just adding the stuff to the cement mix will waste product and money. It’s going to cost more to hand toss the stuff as that requires labor, but it will likely look a lot better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.