Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
My VSP does not seems to be producing the flow compared to the curve. The Tristar VS pump is supposed to be a 1.85 hp pump. Well, it is. If you have a SP3202VSP. Mine is apparently the older model SP3200VSP. And that is a 1.65 hp pump. A bit of digging around and the Hayward site, I find the Super Pump is a 1.65 hp pump. Pulling up the curve, it shows numbers closer to what I think I'm getting. SWG needs 1050 RPM to run reliably (30 GPM). Skimmers need 2000+ to keep the baskets down. And at Max speed, I am probably only getting 80 GPM.

First curve is the 1.65 hp and the second is the 1.85 hp curve. Mine is 230V. This also means at max power (1750 Watts), my 3/4 HP "Boost Pump" from the original pump design is more efficient at 1425 Watts.

Almost makes me want to change it out for a 2.7 HP pump. OTOH, I have $1500 reasons not to change it...

super pump 1.65 curve.jpg

Tristar pump curve.jpg

Tristar-performance-curve.jpg

1621049186761.png

Interesting. Why is the HP rated lower on the SP3200VSP than the SP3202VSP? I need a flow meter. I bought the one from the TFTestkits site, but it doesn't fit in my check valve body.

My pool needs 1050 rpm for the SWG flow switch to reliably activate and the heater needs about 1600 rpm so that I have 1 psi for the pressure switch to allow heating. In both cases, the pressure gauge (From TFTestkits) barely moves off the bottom. At 3450 rpm, the pressure is 12.5 psig, or about 30 ft of head.

First curve is the 1.65 hp and the second is the 1.85 hp curve.
The first curve is for a SuperPump. The second curve is for a TriStar.

The 1.65 and the 1.85 hp TriStar are the exact same pump and they have the same curve and they take the same amount of power.

In my opinion, the 1.85 hp rating was never a valid number.
This also means at max power (1750 Watts), my 3/4 HP "Boost Pump" from the original pump design is more efficient at 1425 Watts.
The booster pump moves much less water but at much higher pressure.

So, it's not a valid comparison.

Last edited:
The "Boost" pump is not the pressure side cleaner pump. It is a parallel pump to my main pump.

The original design of my pool pump system was 2 single speed pumps, a 1/2 hp (main) and a 3/4 hp (boost) side by side in parallel. There is also a "cleaner" pump for running the pressure side cleaner, but it is downstream of the filter. The 1/2 hp failed within a month and was replaced. I later found out the pool company installed a 1 hp pump in place of the 1/2 hp pump. Instead of a simple 2-speed pump, I think the idea was to create complexity and confusion in the pump system, while charging more money and using more electricity.

5 years ago, the 1 hp pump failed. I replaced the it with a VSP. I use it in "stand alone" mode, since my Hayward Automation system is too old to deal with the VSP directly. I could wire up 3 relays for speed control. In reality, I only need two, since I generally use 3 speeds, SWG speed (min flow 1050 RPM), Skimmer Flow (2400 RPM) and Max Flow 3450 (Priming, mixing, fast skimming clean).

A little more digging. The sales ad from Amazon said it was a 1.65 hp. Haywards manual says it is a 1.65 hp. I photographed the pump and everything says 1.85 hp. It is indeed a SP3200VSP, at least on the model/SN label.

I ran the 3/4 hp pump today and the back pressure on the filter was 12 psi. At 3450 RPM, the VSP is 13 psi. I have that as a comparison. The VSP is putting out more flow than the "boost" pump, as it is called in my system.

Note: The missing pump is a water feature pump for fountains. And Ignore the cover that says "main". That it is the boost pump. The pot cover cracked and I used the old main pump pot cover. VSP is left and "boost" is right. The unused cleaner pump is still installed. Out of view are an air blower and the disused UV system. Yep, the pool builder got me for a lot of useless extras, including a "Pool Frog", which was replaced with the SWG.

20210515_093106.jpg

Attachments

• 20210515_084508.jpg
    20210515_084508.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210515_084605.jpg
    20210515_084605.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210515_093047.jpg
    20210515_093047.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
And on the Super-pump, it is listed as 1.65 hp, but in the manual it is a 1.5 hp. I guess Hayward is as sketchy with ratings as my pool builder is with design.

Reactions: JamesW
Part of the problem is that there is a rated hp and a total hp.

The rated hp x the service factor is the total hp.

Thankfully, the new pump efficiency rules do away with service factor and manufacturers have to list total power.

Unfortunately, the new WEF factor is much worse.

In my opinion, WEF numbers are about as stupid and worthless as they can possibly be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.