Mixing matching solar controllers / probes

Hi ,

long story short, I have an extremely old Zane solar heater controller. I thought id get new probes to get it working and it did for a season but now it switches on and off like it’s on the edge of wanting to be on but then turns off. I think the controller is shot . The constant on off for periods is probably not great for the the pump I suspect ( talking on off cycling approx every 4 seconds for like a minute or so )

i have the opportunity to pick up an Ascon ms3d controller in Aus cheap but no probes . Is there a way I can check somehow if my Zane probes A. Are working and B. Could work with theb Ascon controller ?

They all seem to use basic thermistors for sensing water and roof temps.

Whether or not they are the same between brands is anyone's guess unless you can find someone in the industry who has played with both brands of controllers.

You can measure the resistance of the thermistors but this needs to be done at a couple of reference temps so you can get an idea of the overall resistance value for their intended working temps.

In the manual for my controller (different brand), there is a table that lists various temperatures and what resistance each should produce across the leads of the sensor. But I couldn't find such a table for your controller. That would be one way to confirm if your sensors produce the resistance your controller is expecting.

The other way, is to just hook them up. Put one in the pool along with a regular pool thermometer and see if the controller reads out the proper water temp. (Assuming you can test out this thing before you buy it.)

You could do something similar for the roof, too. And just in the air, in the shade. That'd give you three different temps to compare. If the sensor reads the same as the thermometer in all three locations, I'd say you're good-to-go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.