Minimum pump running time when adding poly 60 to the pool before closing

Sep 20, 2018
N TN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
What is the minimum amount of time that you need to run the pump after adding Poly 60 to a pool before closing and what is the best way to add it? I did a search about this and couldn’t find a conclusive answer. I saw an article on Pool School that says to run the pump 30 minutes after adding it before closing but I also saw several posts that say to run the pump 24 hours because it is rather viscous. The reason I’m asking this question is because my pool guy is closing my pool tomorrow afternoon, and I can’t add the poly 60 today or tonight because high winds and light rain are expected all afternoon and evening. My pool is surrounded by trees so I plan on running the pump all afternoon to catch some of the leaves but I will have to shut the pump off at dark since I won’t be able to go out and dump leaves out of the skimmer. I’d like to wait and add the poly 5 hours before closing, after cleaning the leaves out of the pool. If brushing the pool a bunch or dissolving it in a bucket of water before adding it would help get it mixed in better, I’d be willing to do that. I also could use some advice on how much to add since I will be adding it to my pool after it was full of leaves. I’m thinking that I should add it at the visible algae dose (11-16 oz/10k gallons) because of this, but I wanted to make sure before I did this. Water temperature isn’t below 60 degrees yet and I have a mesh cover, so I want to make sure I add it to my pool correctly.

There is no conclusive answer. Give the PQ60 the most time to mix up to 24 hours. Buckman Labs, the manufacturer of all PQ60 sold under various brands, says to keep the circulation pump on for at least 24 hours to make sure that the algaecide is thoroughly distributed throughout the pool.

But whatever time you give the PQ60 to circulate it will be better then no PQ60 at all. Don't sweat it.

Reactions: poolnewbie4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.