Mineral Pack?

abill

Jul 29, 2020
Texas
This is probably the wrong place to post this but I wanted to check and see if anyone had any experience with "mineral systems"? PB says that they are "awesome"... requires less chlorine, so it is easier on your skin but also "easier" to maintain than SWG systems? I know SWG are supposedly easy already but they state that when they get out of wack that they are harder to get back right, whereas the mineral system is just easier... I am confused. PB makes them sound great and says that they almost entirely use the mineral systems on all their pools now 9:1 mineral vs SWG pools? Are they that good?

You dont want that. There are cartridges that have to be replaced (so they are money makers for the pool stores and equipment people) and ultimately the "minerals" are things like copper, silver and other metals that can lead to staining. Don't fall for it. My bid had a nature2 system included and I had it removed.

Thanks, it did sound too good to be true but then they say things like "oh, you don't really want a SWG pool" they will eat up everything in sight. It doesn't help any that I built a "metal" house and they claim the rust is horrendous.

At what distance from a SWG pool do you not worry about metal components? Worry about having to bond all of my steel
on the porch. Its A LOT of steel

What PBs usually don't tell their customers is that adding chlorine will also increase the salt level over time. Topic has recently been discussed here:

Quite a few TFP members who changed over to SWG and tested salt for the first time before adding salt, reported that their salt level was already half way or more at salt water pool levels.

All pools are salt water pools as chlorine is made from salt water, most pools have up to 2000 ppm, SWG pool is at 3000 to 3500 ppm... not anywhere close to the ocean at 33,000 ppm... If you get a SWG check your salt content before adding salt for this exact reason...

The pool builder makes money from the pool industry by selling those mineral packs because they keep the pool industry in business.. A SWG does nothing for them after the sale because most people with SWG pools hardly ever go back to the pool store and now that you found us you don't ever have to go back to them... :)

I definitely lean towards a salt pool but what how close is "too close" to a metal house? I have a large, all metal structure built porch that we were going to take the pool deck right up to.

..... A SWG does nothing for them after the sale because most people with SWG pools hardly ever go back to the pool store and now that you found us you don't ever have to go back to them... :)
Makes you wonder if the SWG cells are designed to break after a few years.

well most are lasting 5 to 8 years, that is why we recommend going 2 to 3 times bigger than you need so you only have to run your SWG 1/3 to 2/3 the time... If you had 20k pool and bought a 20k cell you would have to run pump and SWG 24/7 and would only last 2 to 3 years :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I definitely lean towards a salt pool but what how close is "too close" to a metal house? I have a large, all metal structure built porch that we were going to take the pool deck right up to.

I don't think there is a definitive answer. The point that Casey and I were trying to make is that, if you are worried about corrosion, then you shouldn't have any pool ;), as after a few seasons the salt levels of a non-SWG and a SWG pool are not all that different - but definitely still an order of magnitude below ocean salt levels. Just apply common sense and try to locate the pool in a way that the metal structures don't get constantly splashed with pool water when kids (young and old ...) are having a water bombing competition. Salt will remain once puddles have evaporated - but again, that applies to standard pools in the same way.

More important would be to not store the muriatic acid you'll have to add to your pool from time to time anywhere near that metal - the fumes from that stuff can be quite corrosive.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a definitive answer. The point that Casey and were trying to make is that, if you are worried about corrosion, then you shouldn't have any pool ;), as after a few seasons the salt levels of a non-SWG and a SWG pool are not all that different - but definitely still an order of magnitude below ocean salt levels. Just apply common sense and try to locate the pool in a way that the metal structures don't get constantly splashed with pool water when kids (young and old ...) are having a water bombing competition. Salt will remain once puddles have evaporated - but again, that applies to standard pools in the same way.

More important would be to not store the muriatic acid you'll have to add to your pool from time to time anywhere near that metal - the fumes from that stuff can be quite corrosive.

OMG, I completely apologize. I normally don't let much past me but yes, your are right.. that one went right over my head. I understand what you are saying now. I am not sure why, but salt pools around here get such a bad rap that they have put a lot of unfounded fear in peoples mind. Was just trying to gain some perspective as to some possible potential reasons why that a SWG pool may not be the best choice in some instances but I now get your point about chlorine pools becoming "somewhat" salty overtime. Thank you

Reactions: mgtfp
I am not sure why, but salt pools around here get such a bad rap that they have put a lot of unfounded fear in peoples mind.
Only in Texas -------

You do not say where you are in Texas, but if East or South of Austin, your overall environment is very corrosive. High humidity, etc.

where in Texas are you ? i would be more worried about hot metal buildings (j/k) you will not regret going with a SWG pocket book will love you and welcome to TFP your in good hands please read on you will see help is all these great peeps love to do. we all want TF/Pools

Recent example of a pool turning into a salt water pool:

What hasn't really been discussed is how you intend to sanitize your pool. Minerals? That's just bogus and your builder is either uneducated about pool water chemistry or has a big dog in the fight to get you to try minerals. Again, it's bogus......it doesn't work. If your builder insists he should come to this forum and learn pool water chemistry.......he obviously doesn't understand it.

So, what does work? Chlorine. Let me say it again....Chlorine! TFP suggests you sanitize and protect your pool from germs, bacteria and algae using chlorine. It works in millions of pools everyday and it proven to be the most effective sanitizer you can use.

Now, how do you put chlorine in your pool?......there are several ways. Here's three........

1. Pour in liquid chlorine or bleach most every day or every other day. It's the most perfect way to get chlorine in your pool but is inconvenient for some.
2. Chlorine pucks. Very convenient and very popular but can have some annoying side effects.
3. SWG - That uses salt in your water and converts it continuously to produce....guess what.....chlorine! So a salt pool is simply another way to deliver chlorine to your water.

Can a salt pool do damage to the surroundings? ONLY if it is allowed to splash out and evaporate over and over and over. Salt in the concentrations in your pool water does absolutely no harm. So if you intend to let the pool water splash out onto your metal building and evaporate everyday, it will build up to perhaps being harmful. If you use some reasonable good judgement and perhaps simply rinse of any surfaces where salt could accumulate over time, it will never be an issue.

Reactions: TexasRain
What hasn't really been discussed is how you intend to sanitize your pool. Minerals? That's just bogus and your builder is either uneducated about pool water chemistry or has a big dog in the fight to get you to try minerals. Again, it's bogus......it doesn't work. If your builder insists he should come to this forum and learn pool water chemistry.......he obviously doesn't understand it.

So, what does work? Chlorine. Let me say it again....Chlorine! TFP suggests you sanitize and protect your pool from germs, bacteria and algae using chlorine. It works in millions of pools everyday and it proven to be the most effective sanitizer you can use.

Now, how do you put chlorine in your pool?......there are several ways. Here's three........

1. Pour in liquid chlorine or bleach most every day or every other day. It's the most perfect way to get chlorine in your pool but is inconvenient for some.
2. Chlorine pucks. Very convenient and very popular but can have some annoying side effects.
3. SWG - That uses salt in your water and converts it continuously to produce....guess what.....chlorine! So a salt pool is simply another way to deliver chlorine to your water.

Can a salt pool do damage to the surroundings? ONLY if it is allowed to splash out and evaporate over and over and over. Salt in the concentrations in your pool water does absolutely no harm. So if you intend to let the pool water splash out onto your metal building and evaporate everyday, it will build up to perhaps being harmful. If you use some reasonable good judgement and perhaps simply rinse of any surfaces where salt could accumulate over time, it will never be an issue.

good to hear that cause the SWG is the way I lean to for ease of use. Now another question regarding this though. If Pool builder A, doesn’t push SWG pools and does not build all that many because they push the mineral system, but pool builder B, LOVES SWG pools do you choose PB B cause of the experience for any reason? Is there anything for PB-A to do wrong that PB-B does correctly?

Also, the pool builder wasn’t suggesting that the minerals do the cleaning... said that using them required “less chlorine use”

I would choose a pool builder because his total package made the most sense to me. I would educate myself about pool chemistry and sanitation and then tell the pool builder what I wanted.

I will hazard a guess that the metal is not bare; it is either galvanized, painted or powder coated. Any of those will provide reasonable protection.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.