DARN Ladder!! Algae Culprit

Karis

Gold Supporter
May 28, 2018
Moorhead, MN
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Pardon my French, but this ladder we have has, I believe, kept us from ever getting rid of algae, regardless of the SLAMs or scrubbing we do. Here are some photos of all the nooks and crannies. How do I clean this sucker?! I have poured bleach in each hole and scrubbed with a bottle scrubber, but if you look closely you'll see there are 8 spots that have such a sharp corner (where the step meets the rail) that I have no idea how to even brush it. Maybe with a skewer? We had some bricks and wooden shims in a few of the holes to weigh it down. Do we have to take the ladder out every week to brush every nook? And how do we clean the metal pipes that attach to the deck (yes, there is algae in them, I would swear to it)? There HAS to be a better answer. Please, please tell me how to move forward.
1. How long should I leave bleach in each hole? We just started a SLAM this morning so I'll leave the ladder out until we're done with that.
2. Ideas on how to scrub right now?
3. Ideas on how to clean weekly?
4. Should we just throw this ladder out and find one that has nowhere for algae to hide? It might be therapeutic for me to burn this sucker anyway...

This is our 4th year trying to get rid of the algae. Our water is always bright & clean but we get spots settling on the bottom within an hour of brushing & vacuuming. Yesterday we added some DE to our sand filter and that has already helped. Also:
5. It took about 2 cups of DE added to our sand filter to get pressure up 1 pound. Do we replace that every time we backwash?
Many thanks to all of you!!

Attachments

• IMG_1946.jpg
    IMG_1946.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1940 (1).jpg
    IMG_1940 (1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1941 (1).jpg
    IMG_1941 (1).jpg
    741.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1938 (1).jpg
    IMG_1938 (1).jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited by a moderator:
That does look like a very poor design. You'll have to do some hard looking when you go shopping, to see if there are any better. Sorry, no recommendations.

For scrubbing, maybe a long-bristled bottled brush? Do you know anybody who might have a pressure washer? That'll get in those crannies, too. And then toss it in the high FC pool to soak. Maybe attach a string to pull it back up.

When you backwash, all the DE will leave and you'll need to add more.

PS: this is going in my bookmarks thread.

You could load it up and take it to the local coin operated high pressure car wash. If you don't replace the ladder you might want to use something to fill in the nooks and crannies. I'm not sure what a good filler material would be.

Richard, I appreciate the lightning-fast response! We have a pressure washer so I'll hit the ladder with that and then throw it in the pool. So then when we brush the pool daily during the SLAM, do we have to pull the ladder out & rescrub daily too?

Thanks also for the DE answer. :)

Richard, I appreciate the lightning-fast response! We have a pressure washer so I'll hit the ladder with that and then throw it in the pool. So then when we brush the pool daily during the SLAM, do we have to pull the ladder out & rescrub daily too?

Thanks also for the DE answer. :)
I wouldn't think you'd have to rescrub the ladder every day, especially if you blasted it good with pressure. You just might want to pull it out so you can vacuum easier. Any pool toys, toss them in to soak as well.

I wouldn't think you'd have to rescrub the ladder every day, especially if you blasted it good with pressure. You just might want to pull it out so you can vacuum easier. Any pool toys, toss them in to soak as well.
For the pool toys and floats, if they've been in storage since October, is it safe to assume they're clean? Or soak it all?

@Karis i had a time with my steps & I decided to drill extra holes in them to assist with water flow so there’s not as many stagnant places for stuff to grow it also allows me to reach the nooks & crannies without removing the steps so far it has helped 0CB82909-910B-4052-8814-DCD21756D95C.jpeg

@Karis i had a time with my steps & I decided to drill extra holes in them to assist with water flow so there’s not as many stagnant places for stuff to grow it also allows me to reach the nooks & crannies without removing the steps so far it has helped View attachment 139954
Hmm, intriguing! It doesn't look like your holes are big enough to brush through, so the water flow must be enough? Would you tell me how you do your maintenance cleaning, and how often? Also, would you suggest that we drill a hole in the front of each of the nooks in our ladder? I would love to be able to keep this one because aside from this major flaw, I really like it. It's sturdy, has a nice smooth feel, and it's attractive (plus we drilled holes in our expensive deck to fit it!). Thanks for taking time to post!

Would't leaving the ladder outside in the sun for few days to dry off, after a nice cleaning from a pressure washer, kill whatever remained of algae?

Also, if it were me, I would leave the ladder off until the slam process was completed. Otherwise dead algae could get trapped in the nooks and crannies of this ladder and provide food for more algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm hoping that's the case with the ladder, because we have left it out in the sun. My numbers are staying pretty steady, using more chlorine during the sunny daytime, but otherwise only dropping a point or two on the FC scale and I test several times a day. I'm hoping @Richard320 or another pro might take a peek at my test logs to see if all is well? :) I brush daily and the past two days I've vacuumed with my portable hand vac. We're still only getting a little dirt along the seams and a few other spots as pictured and I think the only difference is it's lighter in color and doesn't all *poof* when you get near it. Fingers crossed that that means progress!

Once the algae dries out in the sun it is dead, but can leave stains behind.
Karis some people pour their chlorine in near the stairs and brush the water towards the them to get a dose of concentrated chlorine in that area every couple of days.

Reactions: Karis
Hmm, intriguing! It doesn't look like your holes are big enough to brush through, so the water flow must be enough? Would you tell me how you do your maintenance cleaning, and how often? Also, would you suggest that we drill a hole in the front of each of the nooks in our ladder? I would love to be able to keep this one because aside from this major flaw, I really like it. It's sturdy, has a nice smooth feel, and it's attractive (plus we drilled holes in our expensive deck to fit it!). Thanks for taking time to post!

i can get a long handle bottle brush in there (the holes are bigger than they look) but I really haven’t needed to that often since i did it so apparently the extra flow has helped.

Dang, you guys, I didn't get emailed that you had responded yesterday, sorry. Not sure why I got an email the first day but now I don't anymore. At any rate, that's a great idea, Zea, I'll try that. And Mdragger, glad it's helped and I appreciate your response. Richard, thank you! I have changed the volume in my app and will update my signature. You're right on CYA being between 20 but closer to 30. I have more CYA coming next week and will try to increase that after the SLAM. Today was cloudy and I hardly used any chlorine.

Wish I could magically transport one of you guys here to look because I have my doubts that it's algae...I vac'd and brushed and again within an hour it's dirty along the seams & ridges. I sometimes think it's the circulation but my husband insists it's fine since you can see debris moving toward the skimmer. We added another cup (3 total) of DE to our sand filter this morning as well. My CC has stayed at .5 this whole time. I'll check FC one more time tonight & then early tomorrow. If I pass all 3 (the water has always been clear) I can stop the SLAM, correct? Regardless of any dirt settling on the bottom?

One thing about above ground pools is their floors will show dirt more easily than an inground pool with a vinyl liner. Its the nature of the beast. They are shallower, so dirt is easier to see. They have more seams, so more places to catch dirt, along with more dips and ripples in the floor due to being on a dirt foundation rather than a hard surface like concrete or purlite.
Any dirt, dust, and debris that blows in is not going to get 100% pulled in the skimmer to get caught in the filter. Some drops to the pool floor before it gets to the skimmer and it accumulates in the seams, dips, and ridges. You might want to try a skimmer sock in the skimmer basket to catch some of the stuff before it gets to the filter.

As long as you pass all 3 criteria you are good to end the slam!

Reactions: Mdragger88
I have a 1.5 hp single speed pump & a sand filter with zeo in it & have the “dirt” too. I notice it more after i backwash. Someone on here mentioned that my pump was so large that it may be blowing the zeo back into the pool. My temporary solution is the D.E. Which seems to help, backwashing very infrequently ( my pressure Takes a month to rise by 25%) & using a vac that doesn’t go through my filter.

As you let your fc drift down don’t forget to to aim for the high end of the target level for your cya as per the FC/CYA Levels
So u never need to SLAM Process again.
You never listed any of your other test results but when your fc drops below 10 you can get those in balance here’s a reference 4 u.
Enjoy your clear pool!
If u have any ?s just ask?

Reactions: Karis

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.