In The Industry
May 31, 2015
Milford, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Helping with a pool. It is an AG 18k gallon, 24 foot round. When they called me their pool was cloudy. Homeowner also mentioned that they had metals in their pool and had the CuLator in their skimmer basket. Pool was so cloudy I couldn't see past 1st step. Upon 1st test which was about a month ago these were my readings.

FC - 0
CC -0
PH - 6.8
TA - 100
CYA - 110 + it was off the charts
CH - 90

There was no visible algae. I got it cleared up with liquid chlorine, and raised PH to 7.3 with two boxes of borax. The pool however does not hold chlorine so I am constantly adding. I would think with the high CYA it would be holding plenty. Today I added one 121 oz of chlorine at 11am, came back at 4pm and no chlorine. I have not tried an overnight test as they do not have a kit. So I am using my k-2006 when I stop in. Homeowner has stopped using pucks and we are doing our best to handle high CYA with out draining.

The other issue now is with metals. When I first started helping them, the Culator was clean, once I raised the ph it turned reddish brown, along with the cartridge filter. We had to clean it twice. It was terrible red/brown.

So that leads to my main question - if algae is not causing the major chlorine loss, could it be the metals? Today I noticed the pool had a slight yellowish tint on the entire surface. I called a Culator rep and he called back and felt loss of chlorine was from high CYA, but that didn't make sense to me. I understand CYA reduces effectiveness, but didn't think it would cause actual chlorine loss. :confused::confused: I don't want to SLAM if it will cause metal staining - but want to get to the bottom of chlorine loss.

Any help in troubleshooting is greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

if the CYA is that high, and the FC remains so low, I'm sure there are organics in that water clouding up the water plenty.

What's holding them back from a partial drain and refill? They're missing a great portion of summer if they can't swim in a cloudy pool.

Maddie :flower:

if the CYA is that high, and the FC remains so low, I'm sure there are organics in that water clouding up the water plenty.

What's holding them back from a partial drain and refill? They're missing a great portion of summer if they can't swim in a cloudy pool.

Maddie :flower:

Thankfully I've been able to clear it up, and monitoring CYA levels. I will check that again tomorrow. Hoping since we have had some very very heavy rains it has gone down some- so they are swimming but can't seem to keep chlorine levels up and I am worried now that I see the water yellowing that SLAMMING will cause a counter-reaction from the metals.

Any ideas? I went this morning and pool had no chlorine. I dumped in a gallon last night. Do you think I could still SLAM even though there are also metals present?

Thanks all!!

I have to ask, how did you 'clear up' the cloudy water/algae if you didn't SLAM Process?

My money is going on organics (algae) in the water.

I dumped in one gallon as soon as I started helping. Came back two days later, and I could actually see the bottom but was still slightly cloudy. Dumped in another jug. It was completely clear by my second visit. I thought it was 18k gallons but is likely more like 15K. It is still clear but again not holding chlorine. Just tested CYA and it has gone down some but still well over 100. I have pictures, how clear it got and I'll add those soon!

I know I likely need to slam but just worried about metal staining and counter-reaction. I have ordered some of the Metal Magic that was recommended here. Wondering if I should wait to SLAM until after I add the metal magic:confused::confused:. Homeowner also ordered a new CuLator. When I did the CH test it turned purple instead of blue which I remember is indicative of metals, so they definitely have a metals issue. I believe it's iron. Homeowner is thrilled with the water clarity but I want to get to the bottom of the chlorine loss issue.

Do metals ever cause chlorine loss, or is it likely organic?

Metals do not cause chlorine loss. It is probably a nascent algae bloom. If the water is clear, not holding chlorine, and you don't want to slam at this time, then you or the homeowners will have to keep on top of dosing the pool and keep the FC at the top of the range for the CYA level. Also bump up the chlorine after every swim. The pool will be using a lot of chlorine and it will turn quickly if the FC is not kept at the correct level.

I have ordered some of the Metal Magic that was recommended here. Wondering if I should wait to SLAM until after I add the metal magic.

Please do not slam after adding MM. You will destroy the sequestrant and have to add the start up dose all over again.

You have two problems, but there's really only one adequate solution, IMHO.

You need to dilute the metals AND dilute the CYA.

So the steps would be:
1. Partial drain to get cya to acceptable level.
2. Followed by a SLAM if needed, which may then tint the water from the metals***
3. If water is tinted, filter out that oxidized metal for a few days with extra filtering help, whether Polyfill bucket, Pentek 25:1 mcron reducing filter, or The Slime Bag | The Easiest Way To Maintain Crystal Clear Pool Water. affixed to a return.
4. Then add the Metal Magic to clear stains and sequester what's left.

Encourage your friends to be more proactive in future...eg control cya and prefilter metal if on well, and maintain sequestrant.

Their condition is the condition those of us on wells avoid like the plague via proper TFP management. So they can start with their own kit, because you cannot really be proactive from a distance ;)

***if higher but not slam level clears it, you can just proceed to next step if water is thus not tinted.

Last year my CYA was around 150! I had to maintain FC level of 30+ to keep the pool clear. We waited until Fall, drained the pool below the skimmer and by draining off snow melt and A Lot of spring rain we have the CYA at about 50. Now it's easier to maintain the FC at 4-5. Which leads me to a question....

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and no more using the tabs. Liquid chlorine- SuperChlor only.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.