Metal Stain on Liner

Jul 25, 2013
Eastern PA
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So... I have these yellowish-greenish stains on my vinyl liner. I just rubbed a Vitamin C tab on it and the stain came off. What is the next step? Do I need to rub Vitamin C tabs all over my liner by hand or is there something I can add to my water> The stain is on the entire liner. Some areas are darker than others. My pool is a very small 12 x 24 IG.

Why did this staining happen and how do I prevent it from occurring again?

We installed a new Hayward Super Pump and changed the sand at the beginning of the summer. Those are the only two things that have changed. The pool is 8 years old. We have never changed the pump or sand prior to this summer.

Thanks in advance,
Suzanne

Attachments

• PoolStain.png
    PoolStain.png
    446.6 KB · Views: 3
With wide spread iron staining (confirmed by Vitamin C), you'll want to use the AA process below. Keep in mind that only pulls the stains off the liner and puts iron into a water solution form. Ideally you'll want to exchange the water to remove it. Or you can try filtering the iron through polyfill. I suspect you're on a well perhaps? That's a common source of iron.

Reactions: Suzanne81571
If you see your water change colors like this, that's an ideal time to filter out iron like in the pic below. Iron also reacts when the pH and/or FC levels get too high, so be careful about those as well.

full

Do you fill from a well?

This is my favorite Iron in the water thread.... read it and see if you can adapt it to your pool. It works well!

Maddie :flower:

With wide spread iron staining (confirmed by Vitamin C), you'll want to use the AA process below. Keep in mind that only pulls the stains off the liner and puts iron into a water solution form. Ideally you'll want to exchange the water to remove it. Or you can try filtering the iron through polyfill. I suspect you're on a well perhaps? That's a common source of iron.

Thank you all for your responses. They was very informative. No, we don't have a well. We did notice rust on the skimmer bolts when we opened the pool this year. The rust never happened until this year.

Can I purchase polyfill and Absorbic Acid at the pool store?

Suzanne

Best to get the AA online. You could probably get the polyfill online as well, although I'm sure various local department and fabric stores probably have the poly as we. Event though you aren't on a well, there's no doubt you have an elevated iron content coming from somewhere. It would be ideal to pinpoint the source. Don't rule out city water. Check you annual water report for iron levels. Normally toilets and such will stain quickly. You could grab a water sample from the garden hose and get a free store test. No need to tell them where you got the water, just smile and say thank you. :) Some old plumbing in teh US had steel, so that's another possibility that might apply.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.