Metal Return Fitting and SWG

mts37

Bronze Supporter
Sep 20, 2016
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Hi all,

I’ve purchased and am in the process of installing an IC40 SWG.

Something I didn’t think of before the purchase:
The return fitting in the wall of the pool is metal (I think because my pool was built in the 70s from what I can tell from old house permits). Note: The eyeball fitting screws into plastic threads, but behind the threads is a metal fitting.

Is the salt water going to corrode the metal fitting and leave me with a big problem? I already know the fitting is a little rusty from inspecting during winerization.

Any advice would be appreciated!

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Does a magnet stick to the metal fitting?

What have you been using to chlorinate your pool?

Liquid chlorine/bleach contains salt that will accumulate in pool water. You can have 1000 ppm or more in a chlorine pool. So the 3000 ppm of salt a SWG requires may not be much more then what you have now.

You should get the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test and test your water before you add salt for the SWG.

mts37

Bronze Supporter
Sep 20, 2016
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Does a magnet stick to the metal fitting?

What have you been using to chlorinate your pool?

Liquid chlorine/bleach contains salt that will accumulate in pool water. You can have 1000 ppm or more in a chlorine pool. So the 3000 ppm of salt a SWG requires may not be much more then what you have now.

You should get the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test and test your water before you add salt for the SWG.
I don't know if a magnet sticks to the fitting in question. I will check here when I close the pool in the next week or two.

I do use bleach for chlorination (thanks TFP!) but based on the how much I add, I don't think there is much salt in the pool. I think it was 200ppm based on my total bleach additions for the year. I drain quite a bit of water every year when closing and also drain a lot due to rain/snow, so I know the salt is not accumulating that much (CYA typically goes from 50 to 10 from when I close until I open again).

I guess I am just wondering at this point can I really do more damage to this metal fitting by fully converting to SWCG (note: I installed the power supply but never actually installed the salt cell due to time constraints with having a newborn around the house).

Also - why would there be a metal fitting? I think my pool was built in the 1970s ( I inherited it with a home purchase). What happens if this fitting corrodes enough to break apart?