Metal Magic and shocking?

denisab

Jun 23, 2022
Portage, IN
Has anyone used Metal Magic just for removing copper (or any metal) from pool water and not for stains? I researched about Metal Magic and saw that it removes copper from the water, but we don't have issues with staining, so we went ahead and tried it on our pool water and it took it from 0.5ppm to 0.3ppm within 2 days, after using Metal Free about a week and a half ago which didn't work at all. My question is, since we aren't using it for staining, can I go ahead and shock my pool even though the instructions say not to? It's been circulating in the pool now for nearly 48 hours. Another 5 days is a long time for it to go without any more chlorine, especially when our free chlorine and total chlorine levels are both super low.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Remember that these sequestrants do not remove the metals from the water. They only "contain" them in solution form with the water. So the metal is still there, and once the sequestrant wears off, the metals come out of solution form to potentially cause problems. For copper specifically, the only wat to truly remove it is by exchanging water. Iron can sometimes be filtered depending on its current state.

Do you know how you got copper in the water to begin with? Increasing the FC levels will only cause the sequestrant to degrade faster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.