Metal Ladder Corrosion - SWG Above-Ground Pool

Sep 7, 2018
Jersey Shore
The patient is an Intex above-ground pool with SWG, 3rd of 4th year of operation, presenting significant surface corrosion on the ladder section at the waterline.

Last year, I wire-brushed all the corrosion off and repainted with Rustoleum, but corrosion reappeared.

If this were a boat, I'd have a sacrificial Zinc Anode installed, but for a ladder in a vinyl pool, where the pump, filter, and SWG are all connected to the pool by plastic hoses?

I've got salt in the water at a low percentage appropriate for an SWG, I've got the steel tubes that make up the ladder, and I've got bolts (also steel) to connect the ladder parts.

I do not see how I have a problem that a zinc anode would solve, as I lack dissimilar metals, electric current, or any other aspect of "galvanic corrosion". Yes, the saltwater goes through the pump, filter, and SWG, but they are not showing any sign of corrosion, save the lugs on the circuit board inside the SWG. (Those circuit-board lugs [to which one connects the push-on spade lug connections to the power supply and the wires to the SWG cell] had quite a bit of corrosion, so they were cleaned, reassembled, and coated with excessive amounts of Vaseline to keep the air off them. Had I not caught this, the lugs would have needed replacing, which would have required soldering. Just a warning to others.)

I do not see how I have a problem that a zinc anode would solve,
I would agree, and I see where @JoyfulNoise speaks often of disappointing results of an anode for pool use. In this situation, I'm thinking it has moor to do with the quality of the ladder (materials, protective coating, etc) than anything else.

It’s cheap steel that’s a problem. Nowadays you need to buy ladders that are specifically designed to work in salt water pools. If they are steel, they will use 304 or 316 grade stainless steel. You also need to avoid using any sulfate containing chemicals (dry acids or MPS) and make sure the pH stays in the recommended ranges. Do not add chemicals near the ladder or allow any pool chemicals floats to sit there. Take the ladder out whenever the pool is not being used and wash it down thoroughly.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Solution: Bought a 100% plastic ladder from a fellow who bought a pool kit, but had built a deck around his pool, and did not need the standard ladder.
Darn thing weighs a ton, and is far more bulky, but it is also far more sturdy.
Metal ladder to be recycled as scrap

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.