Metal and algae Cycle from ****!

Jun 27, 2014
Weddington, nc
I have gone thru **** with a mix of metals and algae. I see you told someone to put the sequestrant in first before shocking.. How long do I need to wait to shock after adding it? 24hrs, 6 Hrs, .. I remember reading several places that said you should really wait at least a week before you shock after you use Absorbic A and then the sequestrant to remove metals. Which I have done about a week ago..Kept chlorine very low thru this week with high temps.. My kids were in the pool last night and said the bottom felt slimy. I know it is because the Chlorine is not high enough and I'm sure algae is starting in there. SO today, exactly one week from when I did the last AA / seq treatment, I just added a maintenance dose of sequestrant. I need to get the chlorine higher but want to give the metal free enough time before I shock so my metals dont reappear. I have some of the cal-shock from Leslie's.. DO you recommend waiting a day or just shocking in about 6-8 hrs??? Or still not shocking and use bleach or what>?? . I am in the ENDLESS CYCLE, fighting between the metal and the algae.. Any help is appreciated.. Thanks Lesa

Ps. I also added a 4oz. maintenance amount of ALL purpose algaecide. (Dupont-40% is dimethyl benzylammonium chloride and 60% other ingredients??

Welcome to TFP!

First, kill all of the algae, so everything is balanced and perfect except for the metal stains. Then do an AA treatment using a polyquat based algaecide. These algaecides are normal sold as 60% percent strength, look for an active ingredient of Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride]. Then when you do the AA treatment you should not get algae again.

Finally, if the stains are coming back when you shock you are either using the wrong sequestrant or not enough sequestrant. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.