mesh winter covers

garbo1

May 18, 2021
ohio
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Has anyone ever used a mesh winter cover was thinking of purchasing one just haven't heard or know anyone that have used them just wondering how they are sounds like a great idea so you don't have to worry about pumping water off or the snow accumulation

I had one. It's nice not to have to pump the cover off, but keep in mind that the pool fills instead. We got about 3 ft of off season rain so I'd start 18 inches down, then drain another 18 inches right before the big freeze. That would last me until spring.

I have one ( loop loc). I like it and when it wears out I will buy another. I monitor the water level when it gets to high and simply pop a corner in the shallow end and put in a small pump and lower it as needed. I use to use the siphon method, but now the little electric pump is much easier that fighting the hose if it’s still cold out .

I had one. It's nice not to have to pump the cover off, but keep in mind that the pool fills instead. We got about 3 ft of off season rain so I'd start 18 inches down, then drain another 18 inches right before the big freeze. That would last me until spring.
thanks for your opinion do you still use the pillow in the middle as with the old-style winter covers

I had a leaf net over my winter cover on my AG pool for 1 winter and it was worthless IMO.
The leaf ones are a much looser weave than a true mesh cover - i used a leaf one last year & will use it again. They are best deployed on top of the solid cover. I don’t even use the rope with it, just used binder clips to keep it in place on top of the solid cover. After the major leaf drop I easily dumped it myself & then put it back& dump it again after the whirlybirds & seed pods dump in early spring. Much easier than trying to continuously scoop the leaves out & kept my cover pump from getting so clogged. I tried it alone before closing & it kinda just trapped the leaves & created a tea bag effect with them 🤢

Reactions: Decoy205
The leaf ones are a much looser weave than a true mesh cover - i used a leaf one last year & will use it again. They are best deployed on top of the solid cover. I don’t even use the rope with it, just used binder clips to keep it in place on top of the solid cover. After the major leaf drop I easily dumped it myself & then put it back& dump it again after the whirlybirds & seed pods dump in early spring. Much easier than trying to continuously scoop the leaves out & kept my cover pump from getting so clogged. I tried it alone before closing & it kinda just trapped the leaves & created a tea bag effect with them 🤢
I guess my leaves were being uncooperative!🤣 The leaf net was too heavy to dump over the side of the pool and there were leaves on top of the cover as well. Maybe a major factor was my pool is in total darkness in my backyard so I had to wait until the weekend to get the leaves. I just stuck with using the skimmer to get the leaves off the cover, same as in the spring with spinners. Taking the leaves off the cover was the only thing I hated about pool ownership, I guess in a month or so it is going to haunt me again!👎🤣

Reactions: Mdragger88
do you still use the pillow in the middle as with the old-style winter covers
No, if the mesh cover is anchored properly it holds itself in place.

But that can be tricky with an above ground pool if it doesn't have a wrap around deck.

However. Not having the sludge in the spring that festered all winter on top of the tarp like cover would be worth figuring it out IMO. You can only pump so much of it off the cover and some always makes it in the pool. :ROFLMAO:

Any leaves that fell would either blow off themselves, or could be easily swept off whenever you had a minute.

thanks for your opinion do you still use the pillow in the middle as with the old-style winter covers
No, I drain my pool below the deck about 16 to 18”. I put the cover on and that’s it. I keep leaves off the cover durning the winter. I keep water below the bottom lip of the skimmers when it fills up with a small pump. That’s it.

I hook up the pump in the spring when the water is below 60 and test and adjust. I leave the cover on until the trees quit dropping there junk and then I pull the cover and vacuum

It is always clear but junk on bottom. So I’m careful to not disturb it until I can vacuum.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Went with just a mesh cover for the last 3 seasons. Works well other than the "Tea bag" affect..PIA to keep the fall leaves off and seems to allow dust, dirt, and anything else that's air born slip through the mesh. This year going with the full cover and mesh over that. Hoping the mesh will catch the bigger debris such as leaves etc..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.