Mesh Pool Cover Question

May 2, 2018
PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have an older pool cover which is starting to show significant wear and cracks. It is a hard cover with black bungie cords. My pool is a free-form pool with one entire side raised, and a spa which waterfalls into the pool. The existing cover drapes up and over the side wall and over the spa. It is not pretty (significantly faded green) and has significant pooling during the winter even with an automatic pump. Since the pooling does not get too deep it is typically somewhat wet and therefore dirty al winter since is rarely fully dry enough for the dirt and debris to blow off.

I am looking at getting a fine mesh cover which is anchored along the wall by a cable system and a separate cover for the top side of the spa. I am hoping to be able to close the poolside and if possible keep the spa open all year. We are in southeast PA. We generally close in December and open in March. I am also looking to buy a floating spa cover for when we do not have the safety cover installed (i.e., in winter months when the pool is close and spa open).

I was expecting for this to be expensive especially since new wall anchors will need to be drilled for the cable system. Here is my quote for a Merline Spart Mesh Cover:

Merline SmartMesh Cover
1152 sf free form smart mesh cover with sewn in perimeter padding = $8,020.17

Spa cover
Round thermo-lite floating spa cover = $672.37

2 Tech Labor
Drill and install custom mesh safety cover with cable system = $1,200.00

Sub-Total = $982.54
Tax = $521.55

Total = $10,414.09

Does this seem CRAZY expensive?

Should I consider Lock-Loop?

Yes, crazy expensive is being polite. I don't believe the cost of the cover. A Merlin Smart Mesh cover is nothing special and a 20' x 40' cover is around $1200-$1500. OK, I know a freeform shape is going to be more expensive, but not 5-6x more expensive. Get 2 or 3 more estimates with other brands of cover, too (I have a Loop-Loc and it's pretty much the same as the Merlin).

My Merlin Smart Mesh cover was around $3500/installed. That also included a pool closing ($400 value). SE PA.

RC

That's about was ours was for a 18' x 38' rectangle pool, installed.

I am going to reach out for some more quotes. If anyone has a reputable vendor in SE Pennsylvania, let me know.

I have a Merlin quote
I just called Loop-loc. They are coming out on Wednesday.
Any others to call?

Also, if the Merlin Rep did the measurements should all Merlin dealers be the same price?

Thanks

I went with Loop Loc's Xtreme-aqua mesh.

The all in cost for the Pool cover, the raised Spa cover, and installation (which requires new wall anchors for a new cable system) was $5,700.

Thus, my third quote saved me over $4,000 (the second quote only saved me $800). My pool is a free-form pool with one entire side having a raised stone wall. As a result, I expected to pay more than the typical rectangle cover (I was just shocked at the first $10.4K price. I was disappointed in the second quote at $9.6K).

Thanks All,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.