Jul 5, 2017
Southern Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello all,

We have a small 10’ x 20’ fiberglass IG pool being installed in November, so we’ll get it in and balanced and then will need to close immediately. I’d like to do a mesh safety cover, and would like to DIY to keep the cost as far under $1000 as possible :)

However, the deck around 3 sides of the pool will be 24” with grass outside of that. Reading up on Loop-Loc mesh covers, the deck needs to be at least 36” wide or the anchors end up off in the grass. Anchoring in grass seems possible, but is not recommended by Loop-Loc for more than 30% of the anchor points. The 24” wide deck is a requirement in the aesthetics dept :giggle:

Any thoughts on the best solution here? Has anyone had success with anchoring in grass with the anchor in pipe method or a long ‘x’ shaped anchor around most of the pool? I’d prefer to not have to set lots of anchors/pipes in concrete in my grass, if possible.

Thanks,

Dan

$1000 would be cheap for a mesh cover with installation. Some of my anchors are less than 24" but some are more. I also have 2 in the grassy areas and both of those are anchors in 36" deep pipe. They both have tilted a bit but still have plenty of bite for the cover. The big issue is if you have these in the grass they'd need to be below the line where you cut the grass. Probably be ok but not ideal.

Is your deck 24" plus the coping? Or 24" including the coping?

Thanks for the response, great info! Yes, hoping to DIY to keep well below $1000.

24” cantilevered concrete deck over a fiberglass pool - so 24” total.

Of course, if I have to I’m also willing to do a more simple tarp and water bags plus submersible pump to keep it cheap for a year or two.

Thanks again!

Dan

Thanks for the response, great info! Yes, hoping to DIY to keep well below $1000.

24” cantilevered concrete deck over a fiberglass pool - so 24” total.

Of course, if I have to I’m also willing to do a more simple tarp and water bags plus submersible pump to keep it cheap for a year or two.

Thanks again!

Dan

You probably could get away with all concrete anchors with only 24" to work with. Just make sure the cover is sized properly with a minimal amount of overhang beyond your coping. You want at least a few inches of space between the anchor and the edge of the concrete though.

Reactions: Danimal92Sport
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.