Merlin vs GLI safety covers. Looking for reviews, pros or cons.

Stilly

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 26, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We just moved into a new home this fall which included both the pool and spa covers in terrible shape. I really can't trust that they would safely make it through this winter. I think the cover we had at the home we just sold was a Merlin Industries cover. I have two quotes in hand - one from the pool guy who has been taking care of the pool at the house we just bought, and one from a pool guy who did some other work for us. One guy quoted the Merlin Industries Duramesh and the other guy the GLI Promesh.

Any recommendations or pros/cons between the two companies? The GLI quote is coming in at about $750 more than the Merlin.

Actually, I just re-read the quotes, and the Merlin quote was for the duramesh and for the smartmesh. The GLI quote was for the Promesh.

Is the Merlin Smartmesh comparable to the GLI Promesh? I think these are both the tighter weave mesh, if I understood correctly, and the Duramesh is the looser weave. Our new pool is a gunite pool with a pebble finish. My previous pool was a liner, so this is a bit new to me. I read on another thread that cleaning algae is harder on a pebble pool and that the tighter or more solid weave is recommended. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help, in advance. I really need to make a decision to get this cover ordered, but with quotes in the 4500-$5000 range, I want to make sure I am getting the right one.

I have been quite pleased with our Merlin Smartmesh cover. I'm getting ready to install it for the 5th season soon. Not problems at all and it appears quite high quality to me. You can see some pictures of it in action in my build thread in my signature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.