Measuring for a replacement vinyl liner

Jun 16, 2009
South Carolina
I have a 16x32 rectangle with fiberglass steps. It's a pretty standard pool shape but there are certainly some dimensions that I am concerned with getting incorrect and adversely affecting the install of the new liner. I want to order a liner online. Considering http://www.poollinerfactoryoutlet.com or intheswim.com. Opinions on vendor is very welcome also.

1) The entire bottom slope, around the hopper, isn't a well-defined squared off line. It's about a 2" radius, like the pool trowel was used to form the vermiculite. Should I go back and cut it all out with a square shovel or just "short" the measurement somehow? I watched on video where they referenced that radius, but I never see it on the measuring forms.

2)my entire pool floor has a slight convex shape. If I lay a 16' 2x4 across the shallow width, there is about 2" gap on the outsides. I'm guessing the millimeters of extra floor that creates would just be covered by the stretch of the vinyl.

3)The side slopes on either side of the hopper are different widths. Like for the 16ft total width, one side was 31" and the other was like 34/35". Some measuring forms show the sides independent and some show 1 variable assuming they're equal. Measuring that was tough because, again, there is a radius on the bottom and not a good, defined bottom to measure to.

4)Should all forms have a diagonal measurement? It seems the one from poollinerfactoryoutlet does not.

5)For Vermiculite repair, I pretty much did a skim coat across the entire bottom. It's not super smooth in some places - do I need to scrape it pretty smooth or is it not that big of a deal?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Last edited:
The liner will stretch and follow the concave and the radius corners. If you have to settle on one number cut it in half so go 32/33. The reason is when they make the liner you kinda see where they seam it so that will be the only giveaway on being out of square. Some liner patterns show it worst than others. Skim coats dont work well it usually doesn't bond to the existing well. If you had cleaned it and used bonding agent would have been better. Pure Portland is good for smaller imperfections and touch ups. As far as smoothing it that's up to you. It only shows under the lights in a pool when dark and whatever you feel on your feet. That's your call on what you can live with. What was the reason you even skimmed it? Pics would help on the before condition if you took any

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.