Maytronics - which one?

IMason

Sep 23, 2016
Clayton/CA
So I have pretty much decided on getting a Maytronics robot but I have several questions before purchasing. I'm debating between the S300i v the M5. I think I will be happy with either. My question is do I buy from a brick and mortar store (gulp, pricetag) or do I buy the equivalent online version? It seems that online versions are cheaper. Is this correct and if so why? If I buy an online version does that mean that I can't take it into my local store for repairs, warranty claims and troubleshooting? Do I have to ship it? Maybe that cost makes it awash in the end.

Thanks!

What type of main drain do you have?

In my pool, I have two separated circular main drains with covers that stick up about 3/8" above the plaster surface. It's enough that if my S300i hits the main drain dead center, it will get stuck on the drain for about 30-60secs before executing a power thrust turn. In the M series, you get the extra 3rd brush and the ability to do split tread turning (true 90 deg turns). This makes the M series much less susceptible to hangups. People with channel drains tend to have much harder time with hang ups.

I'm always more inclined to shop locally for something as complicated as a bot. As I said in a previous post, I found an excellent shop with a knowledgeable repair staff so I feel it was well worth the small extra cost. When you purchase "online" it's not truly an "online" purchase, you'll be calling the shop you are buying from, giving them a credit card number and having them ship the bot to you. I live out in a more rural part of town and UPS/FedEx does an awesome job of ensuring that all of my orders are drop-kicked for the last mile or so! I once ordered a large (65") UHD TV from Costco and had to refuse the shipment drop off because the box had obvious forklift damage (even though the box clearly indicates to NOT use a forklift or pallet jack)....I made the driver open the box in the truck BEFORE he pulled it out and the front screen of the TV was smashed! I simply can't get good delivery service where I am so i would never trust a $1200+ robot to be shipped without damage...you might have better shipping where you live.

Anyway, I'm all for local brick & mortar if you can find one. Also, if the purchase does not include the caddy, then I feel that's a no-go. I love my caddy. Make sure when you're ordering "online" that you are getting exactly the same unit you would get by walking into a shop and buying it direct. Sometimes these online deals are a $100 cheaper because they are not actually selling you everything...they take out the caddy of the S300i and then sell you the robot for $100 less and you think you're getting a deal...

Online units tend to have either shorter warranties or less features than their brick and mortar counterparts. Some shops will refuse to fix online units so you may be stuck shopping to Maytronics if that is the case. My shop is one of the few in my area that also handles online warranties and it makes up probably 25% of my total work so I can understand why.

As JoyfulNoise said, it really comes down to if you have a substantial main drain or not. There's a report on here that an M500 can dive over a Tupperware container, meanwhile the large flat bottom on the S series means it will tend to high center on even mildly tall drains.

I have 2 main drains that stick up a bit. as long as it can eventually get itself around it, i'm ok with a delay in it's motion. the M5, while lovely, seems a bit heavy but I'm still considering it. In terms of repairs and what not, how often does this typically happen?

Is there a cost savings in buying online and just paying for shipping when repairs are needed? typically what is the price difference between online and in store and would that difference eventually be met with shipping costs?

I bought my Dolphin Discovery full price online $799. It goes on sale for $650 at times. Included both sets of filters (fine and pleated) Caddie can be purchased for $100.

Pool Store has the Maytronics S200 (identical machine) priced at $1000 today. And it doesn't come automatically with both sets of filters (only fine set) but you can order the second (pleated) set separately I was told. I forgot to ask if the caddie came with it??

Just for comparison sake.

Maddie :flower:

I did it! I bought a Dolphin s300i and I'm so excited. The trick was getting a good price while not voiding the warranty. The stores in my area were selling it for the regular price while it seems that down in the southern part of my state they were selling it a few hundred cheaper. I found a store that would sell it to me as if I walked into the store and ship it for free. Also willing to do repairs if needed.

I feel like my pool life is going to change for the better!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.