Maytronics vs Polaris, my robotic journey

dschlic1

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2007
Valrico, FL
I decide that I would again try to test various robotic pool cleaners. I managed to local demos units for both the Maytronics Dolphin and the Polaris line. All were tested in my pool with at least two cycles. For the last two units, I put dirt into my pool (my wife screamed at me!!!) to see how well they covered.

Dolphin Solo
Pros Cons

Less expensive than Polaris Cord tangles
Water exit out top Wheelie turn
Climbs stairs Turns not 90
Cleans spa ledge Does not run straight
Filter basket easy to clean Misses parts of pool
Spends more time where started

Maytronics units are 30 to 50% less expensive than Polaris units. The Maytronics inertial guidance system called "CleverClean" has pros and cons. The unit did try to perform an organized cleaning route but was marred by the tracking and turning issues. However the guidance system did appear to have one fault, and that is the unit tends to clean in the leg of the pool where it started. As a result the first cycle missed a large section on one leg. The second cycle, when placed in the other leg, did clean most of what was left.

Polaris 7240
Pros Cons

Climbs wedding cake steps Random motion
Climbs and cleans spa ledge Pump does not run part of the time
Filter basket easy to clean Left large parts of the pool uncleaned
Water discharge is up and back Only occasionally climbs wall

The combination of random motion and not cleaning when in reversed left many places in my pool uncleaned. It did climb the wedding cake steps and the spa ledge.

Polaris P965IQ
Pros Cons

Filter basket easy to clean Random motion
Pump does not run part of the time
Left large parts of the pool uncleaned
Could not climb spa ledge
Left large parts of the pool uncleaned

This cleaner was in poor condition. It is difficult to tell what issues are because of the condition or which are because of the design. However two main points are the inability to climb the spa ledge and the rear discharge. The rear discharge cause quite a bit of the sand an dust to become suspended in the water and then captured by the pool filter.

None of the cleaners completely covered to bottom of the pool in one cycle. I have an odd shaped and sized pool. The Dolphin came closest with two cleaning cycles. It also looks to me like the wheel based cleaners are unable to climb walls as well as the track based units. This includes cleaning the spa ledge on one end of my pool.

Please not this is based on my pool and the units I was able to test. So your results may vary. If you have any questions, I will try and answer them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.