Maytronics Dolphin Nautilus Won't Start... then will... then stops -- help!

Lucky13F

Jun 9, 2020
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Pool Size
I'm not sure how old it is -- the previous home owner left it for me -- but it looks pretty good.

I've opened it and cleaned it and removed screws and pulled out hair and gunk and...

Never had this problem before -- but I plug it in - and nothing. I pull it up and stare at it --- give it a Fonzie tap -- lower it back in -- bubbles -- it moves, then it stops.

Try all this again -- it runs fine. Stops. Seems like it runs better on the flat ground and stops on sides -- but then again, maybe not.

OK -- been running back and forth and looking at it -- it stops. I raise it up so that the impeller out flow at the top is slightly above water -- it spews bubbly air -- and then starts working --- until it stops shortly thereafter.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
My first guess is the cord is getting flakey. If you don’t raise it up, but just try to wiggle the cord around can you get it to start again? I would think the most likely places for problems would be at the swivel if your cord has one, or right where it connects to the robot.

The swivel has brushes in it, they get dirty or freeze in position. They are spring loaded.

If you are lucky, you can clean the connections, and verify the brush/pin is springing back, if they are corroded then

The whole brush (Pin) pulls out of the disassembled swivel, and you can replace with another from a back up robot

Thanks -- I found this guy's video online -- tonight I am going to follow along and see what needs to be cleaned etc. And examine everything internally.

I called Maytronics -- they told me to take it out -- turn it upside down -- and press power to reset it -- but nothing happened.

Which makes me thing you are right --- some connection is slipping.

I watched the video this weekend -- Took the entire Dolphin apart -- washed it out -- checked all the obvious things -- put it back together.
I could see nothing out of the ordinary -- everything looked good, bearings spun -- brushes soft -- easy to self-crank.

Did not see any wires looking worn or flakey.

Put it back in -- fired it up - bubbles came up, moved forward, then backward, hit the wall -- climbed up about 2 inches. Stopped again.
Lifted it out -- spit out a ton of air bubbles when it breached the water surface -- dropped it back in -- nothing.

Called Maytronics -- told me I could send it to them for repair -- but I am not under any warranty. I would imagine there must be a repair place closer to home in New Jersey. But mailing it would likely cost as much as a brand new unit.

There could still be some kind of wire issue -- but I am not qualified to fix it -- or even find it at this point.

Any thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.