Maybe this isnt algae and one of my laterals are bad?

summertimesadness

Gold Supporter
Aug 23, 2022
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Keeps popping up on the bottom of my pool by the main drains. Thought it was algae at first because when I brushed it and other areas of the pool I'd get the "poof" reaction.

However, the last few times after adjusting my FC high enough it appears the bottom stuff won't poof anymore and I can push it around. Possible broken lateral?

It only shows up after sitting overnight with the filter off. Get up in the am and a small pile in the deep end.

Attachments

• 20220910_174633.jpg
    20220910_174633.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 20
I suppose a couple big questions we should ask first are:
1 - Have you performed an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if there is excessive FC loss due to algae?
2 - Have you been able to catch/collect any of that stuff? Algae will be soft or slimy feeling, while sand form the filter with a broken lateral will be gritty.

I suppose a couple big questions we should ask first are:
1 - Have you performed an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if there is excessive FC loss due to algae?
2 - Have you been able to catch/collect any of that stuff? Algae will be soft or slimy feeling, while sand form the filter with a broken lateral will be gritty.

1. No. I was advised in another thread to just maintain by FC levels between 10 and 20 at my CYA level. (100). I am closing up the pool in a few weeks and switching over to SWG in the spring, and they stated it wasn't worth it to SLAM at this time.

2. I will jump in tomorrow. The last two days have been cold and rainy. I will report back.

Thanks.

It's gritty. Also noticed it's at two exit points. At the deep end with a nearby return and at the shallow end with the other return.
Then most likely one of your laterals is loose or bad. When you close the pool for the season, remove the sand, gravel, and water from the filter. Check the laterals for damage or looseness, AND check the plumbing inside the filter for damage. Replace any damaged laterals or plumbing.

Reason why I say to check the plumbing inside the sand filter too, is I had a really bad issue one time where I had LOADS of sand getting in the pool, and I emptied both my filters 3 times and checked the laterals, and they were fine each time. I took it apart and discovered a hole about 0.5cm in diameter on the underside of the lower pipe.

Reactions: summertimesadness
do I have to put anything back in or can it be empty for the season?
You can leave it empty. You'll just need a good place to keep the sand like on a tarp or something and perhaps cover it as well just to keep it from getting dirty.

Reactions: summertimesadness
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.