Maybe the real techs can help me

May 21, 2017
Dayton
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
closed last year with a stabilizer around 100. Drained and the winter filled back up. Started open process yesterday. 25k DE, vinyl liner.
Started shock process with 4 gallons of liquid shock. Before the day was put I had 20 gallons and FC was still zero. Backwashed twice as the day went on.
This morning, water was greenish blue but FC was still zero. Hit local pool store for water test. TC was 6.2, FC was 0. Stabilizer is very low, pretty much nonexistent. Their suggestion was to use cal hypo because I was in chlorine lock. I told them I probably just needed Stabilizer and oxidizer.
Do I just need Stabilizer so the sun isnt pulling the chlor out or do I have some chloramines and potential ammonia issue?
Thoughts?

If you closed the pool with CYA and now have none you may have experienced a bacterial conversion that destroys the CYA and leaves a huge chlorine demand. Try this test. Add enough liquid chlorine to reach 10ppm, run the pump and check the chlorine in 15 minutes. Report the result here. If your chlorine is reading 4.5 or less bump it back up to 10ppm and test in another 15 minutes. Keep the test and dose cycle going until you have more than 5 ppm of chlorine.

You don't want to add more CYA until you are sure the bacterial conversion process has been stopped. More CYA while it is active just feeds the problem. Since you have already added a lot of chlorine it may only take a few test and dose cycles to stop the conversion process and remove the ammonia it leaves behind.

TC 6.2, FC 0 means CC was 6.2. That's huge. Coupled with 0 CYA, I'd say you have ammonia. And it takes enormous amounts of chlorine to neutralize it, something like 10X. Like Zea said, be sure you're able to hold some FC for a few minutes before adding any stabilizer or you'll just end up feeding the bacteria and creating even more ammonia.

How high is your calcium level? If it is low enough you could use cal-hypo to at least maintain your current status until you can get more chlorine. I'd hate to see you get a full on green pool on top of the ammonia problem. Can you get plain, unscented bleach from the grocery store? If so you could use that for chlorine and see if you can start getting it to hold.

Calcium hardness is 50, alkalinity is 110.
I have 6 of the 1 lb bags left.
This is what it looks like. Only 28 hrs in and I have decent color change already with a bit of algae on top there. If it weren't for the lack of shock level, I'd be well on my way

Attachments

• 20200531_162537.jpg
    20200531_162537.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200531_162511.jpg
    20200531_162511.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200531_162505.jpg
    20200531_162505.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 3

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Things are progressing as they should now. Had to wait to backwash because of the CYA but it should clear up a bunch today.
Never heard of an ammonia issue being a thing before this year.

Attachments

• 20200603_120316.jpg
    20200603_120316.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200603_120320.jpg
    20200603_120320.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200603_120333.jpg
    20200603_120333.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 2
It makes my heart happy that a web site like TFP is able to provide sound pool water chemistry diagnosis and advice to anyone willing to listen and follow directions. No advertisments, no monthly payments and no proprietary products for sale. All of this operating on a nonprofit platform and with donations from good people willing to help others.
Pay it forward and become a TFP supporter. :cheers:

Last edited:
That’s pretty crummy of Menards to have 44 cent mail in rebates when the stamp costs 55 cents and probably just as much for the envelope.

Things are progressing as they should now. Had to wait to backwash because of the CYA but it should clear up a bunch today.
Never heard of an ammonia issue being a thing before this year.
Keep track of what your CYA level is at closing this year, then circulate the water for an hour before testing when you open. If its zero you can start off with the 15 minute test and dose cycle until the chlorine starts to hold. Its an unusual condition and we don't know exactly why it happens, but some of us have battled it more than once (me included). Glad to see your pool is looking better!

Reactions: Giant655
That’s pretty crummy of Menards to have 44 cent mail in rebates when the stamp costs 55 cents and probably just as much for the envelope.
It’s 11% off everything. Buy more than one bottle or get a dishwasher or something and you get 11% off the entire purchase with a mail-in refund. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.