Max E therm 400 troubleshooting - not heating appropriately

Zplayer

Jun 4, 2022
Florida
Suddenly having issues with my spa heating, it worked just fine until a few days ago. It kicks on just fine initially, gets to temperature, but then once the temperature drops below the set temperature, it doesn't kick back on. If it does kick back on, it kicks back on for like 30 seconds, and then stops heating, so before I know it, the 100 degree spa is down to 96 etc. To my knowledge, based on how the ScreenLogic app appears, it thinks it is heating, just no heat comes out. Again, this happens after it gets to temperature just fine. Cranks right up when we put it on, heats it up quick with no issues. The problem starts after that. Just trying to figure out how to trouble shoot it, or if this is something I just need to call someone for. It is pretty new (less than a year). The only thing that happened was that the problem seemed to all of a sudden occur after our propane tank was refilled. They don't touch anything but the propane tank, so not sure if it is relevant.

When the heater does not kick back on what do you need to do to get it running again?

A propane heater only tries to ignite once before it shuts down unlike a NG heater that will try three times.

I suspect you have a propane gas flow problem. I would have the gas pressures checked at the ags valve with a manometer.

A less that one year old heater should be under warranty and you should let your Pool Builder handle it.

What is the pump speed and flow rate?

What is the filter pressure?

When was the filter last cleaned?

Florida builder love tiny filters, so they need to be cleaned more often than a larger filter.

Last edited:
What does the display show as the heater is not heating when it should?

Does it show any errors?

What does it show for the water temperature?

What temperature is the heater set to?

What temperature is the ScreenLogic set to?

How is the heater connected to ScreenLogic; by a fireman's switch or by a communication cable?

When the heater does not kick back on what do you need to do to get it running again?

A propane heater only tries to ignite once before it shuts down unlike a NG heater that will try three times.

I suspect you have a propane gas flow problem. I would have the gas pressures checked at the ags valve with a manometer.

A less that one year old heater should be under warranty and you should let your Pool Builder handle it.
The only way I can get it to heat back up again to temperature is to turn the spa off and then back on. Coincidentally I had them check for a Leak maybe a month ago because I thought I had to fill it up sooner than normal, and all was working fine. Is this a dumb question…is there a chance that the valve on the propane tank is not open all the way? Do they close the valve when filling up? I am a complete novice with the heating side of the pool.

What is the pump speed and flow rate?

What is the filter pressure?

When was the filter last cleaned?

Florida builder love tiny filters, so they need to be cleaned more often than a larger filter.

I can get you those numbers today, but I just cleaned out the filter, in fact now that I think about it. I cleaned out the filter last Wednesday morning, and we noticed the issue Wednesday night.

What does the display show as the heater is not heating when it should?

Does it show any errors?

What does it show for the water temperature?

What temperature is the heater set to?

What temperature is the ScreenLogic set to?

How is the heater connected to ScreenLogic; by a fireman's switch or by a communication cable?
The display shows E05 error. It shows the water temperature correctly. I set the spa 100 usually. I just tested it this morning. Water temp starting at 65. Turned it on to 68. It heated it then went off once it got to 68. Then from the app I changed the temp to 75. It fired back up but then stopped after 30 seconds, flashing E05. I am not sure how to tell for your last question.

E05 errors are due to things like a sooted exchanger(fuel delivery, venting), scaled up exchanger (water side), or a low water flow.

First thing to check is that you have at least 40 GPM of flow through the heater. Check the position of any bypass valves.

Check your exhaust temperature when the heater is running. With the older 5 button keypad heaters you hold down POOL or SPA button for at least 10 seconds to display the exhaust temp. With the 6 button connected heater model you go to MENU - SFS TEMP to display the exhaust temp. Normal temps should be ~290-350.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.