There is an on line retailer - US Mattress that has a lot of info on mattresses. They deliver and remove for $99. They tell you the depth of the mattress as well. You don't need bowstring if you have a platform. The box spring is to give support to the mattress ... I am assuming the platform is solid.

Good luck with your search!!
Tried the site just now, plugging in numbers for Seeley listed one choice at $2900 --- nope, like @Mdragger88 said, if I pay too much (again!), I'll hang onto it longer than its "useful lifespan".

Thanks for chiming in though, I'm learning...

There is an on line retailer - US Mattress that has a lot of info on mattresses. They deliver and remove for $99. They tell you the depth of the mattress as well. You don't need bowstring if you have a platform. The box spring is to give support to the mattress ... I am assuming the platform is solid.

Good luck with your search!!

The brands on that site:

Ashley, Beautyrest, Bedgear, Casper, Chattam & Wells, Diamond, Hästens, Helix, Joybed, McRoskey, Naturals by USM, Nectar, Renew by US-Mattress, Restonic, Sapphire Dream, Scott Living, Sealy, Serta, Spring Air, Stearns & Foster, Talapedic, Tempurpedic, Tuft & Needle, Vispring

I had heard of Ashley, Sealy, Searta, and of course Tempur Pedic which is the one I'm trying to see if we can replace. During my looksee, it seems Casper, Sealy, Serta, Stearns & Foster, and Tempurpedic get the most "respectful acknowledgments".

I wonder how many of the ones I've never heard of before are made in the same factory...

I'm learning...

Mattress shopping is the pits - about like shopping for a dolphin cleaner. Lots of the same things just in different clothes & names depending on where you buy from.
Best to decide what features & what type you want (that provides those features) then narrow it down from there via reviews, pricing, availability & actually laying on some etc.
this is a good guide to help make sense of the madness but take their actual product recommendations with a grain of salt since they do shill products.

There’s also a whole forum dedicated to the subject

How tall did it end up being?

My parents swapped out a queen (king?) for two twins pushed together when I was little more than an ankle biter. Interesting.

I like the big fancy head/footboards and it's part of a bedroom set from the early 80's, but it does take up a lot of room I suppose.

Mattress + topper = 12 inches

It’s a traditional 2 sided mattress (so you can flip it) on a traditional box spring.

Mattress shopping is the pits - about like shopping for a dolphin cleaner. Lots of the same things just in different clothes & names depending on where you buy from.
Best to decide what features & what type you want (that provides those features) then narrow it down from there via reviews, pricing, availability & actually laying on some etc.
this is a good guide to help make sense of the madness but take their actual product recommendations with a grain of salt since they do shill products.

There’s also a whole forum dedicated to the subject
Very nice, will read it tonight thank you

It is unlikely I'll get to try before buying, but am hoping to hang onto the old one for a little while and with any luck what I do try will be either returnable or the company will allow me to dispose of it for refund if it doesn't work out. Of course I WANT it to work out... like, REALLY WANT it to work out...

Equations and mattresses and dice, oh my... (and now the Disney dancing elephants, what an overload!)

Before we bought the mattresses we bought we went through a few scenarios and we looked at Amazon, Ikea, on-line stores and anywhere that I could look up mattresses. I know someone who has/had a Ikea mattress and said they are good for 4-5 years. I try to do a lot of research and our last mattress was a luxury firm tight top from Simmons, I really wanted some padding since I am older than I used to be. (mattress before that was an extra firm and the model was call Granite - yup!). After buying the last mattress I found a site of a "mattress expert" that actually said it was a great mattress - nope! Since we got burnt with a name brand mattress that didn't hold up too well I dug in deeper and found that usually it's the foam that breaks down and not the springs. When we went shopping for our current mattress I asked how much foam do the various mattresses have and the Serta had the least and I believe it has a comfort rating of 1.5 (extra firm). We decided not to go with a bed in a box because we hate shopping for stuff like that and didn't want to go through it again in a couple of years.

If your willing to try one I say go for it. If it meets your expectations then great. I have seen low priced mattresses in various places, we bought one from a store called BJs here in NJ for our spare bedroom. Here's a 12 inch foam mattress from them - I have no clue about it though https://www.bjs.com/product/novaform-12-king-cooling-gel-memory-foam-mattress/3000000000004341297

Here's a very inexpensive spring mattress, 2 twins are almost a king, twin XL make a king https://www.bjs.com/product/berkley-jensen-euro-pillow-top-twin-mattress/3000000000001163596

Here's a mattress from Costco, it's a king size firm https://www.costco.com/sealy-postur...r-13.5”-plush-mattress.product.100694157.html

You can get inexpensive mattresses ... getting 5 years out of it and then replacing it could cost less than buying an expensive mattress.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.