Materials feedback

Saslabebs

Feb 8, 2020
Ohio
We received quotes for the Lil Bob LX and Aspen by Thursday pools.

auto cover (Coverstar) and/or safety cover
Pentair intelliflo VSF
Powerclean salt ultra (I think)
Pentair Sand Dollar top mount filter
PAL lighting
4’ concrete around
We don’t really know anyone who has had a pool installed so nothing to compare to. Are these ok? Thanks.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You'll receive lots of advice here, but I'll mention some things to help get the conversation going:
- I'm not an Ohio native, but I suspect most close their pool each winter, therefore the heater helps to try and extend the swimming season by a few weeks on either end of summer. Whether you believe it to be a worthwhile investment is up to you. If you get serious about a heater, post back with as much details as you can about the heater (type, capacity, etc).
- Same goes for the pump and filter. The more info the better (i.e. HP, filter size, etc).
- How big (gallons) will that pool be?
- Other than the chlorinator (tabs/pucks) you show no other method to chlorinate, so you will use tabs "occasionally". Once those tabs raise the CYA (stabilizer) level, you switch to liquid chlorine (aka regular bleach) - same thing. I just want to make sure that's clear. The only other popular option is a salt water generator (SWG) that converts salt to chlorine.
- As for the cover, personal choice. Members in cold climates vary in their opinion about having one. I'll let those owners boast about their reasons for having or not having one. :)

Congrats on the new project. We look forward to seeing it progress. :swim:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

S,

The IntelliFlo is the "gold standard" of pool pumps.. I would go with the 011028 which is just a VS pump.. Most people do not need the ability of the Variable Flow part of the VSF... The VS only pump is cheaper and is really all you need.

I have never heard of the Power Clean Saltwater system, but it looked ok to me..

I personally would go with a large cartridge filter instead of a sand filter.. No multiport valve to go bad and simpler plumbing. If you go with a big filter you will only have to clean it at the end of the season when you close the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Saslabebs
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.