New build in DeWitt, Arkansas

We had 13 oak trees removed this week! Now, the search continues for a pool builder near our area. I have found a vinyl pool kit @ Royal Swimming Pools in Memphis that I really like. Vinyl covered steel sun ledge & steps available. The problem is finding a builder :(. I finally found a builder in Helena, which is about an hour away, but the moment I mentioned sun ledge, he seemed adamently against vinyl covered steps & ledges & said it would have to be a gunite pool.
Maybe if I could get some information on vinyl pools with gunite ledges, he would consider giving it a try. He installs both vinyl and gunite.
Help! Has anyone got any references? I live in DeWitt, AR. I know the closest will likely be 1-2 hours away. There are pools in town, but the older gentleman in Stuttgart that did all the pools in our county recently died.

Attachments

• 3E83E636-DF15-48A1-8C96-5D7A8AAC0C96.jpg
    3E83E636-DF15-48A1-8C96-5D7A8AAC0C96.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 41
  • C28A4164-2DE3-4281-8542-E2DE9BF87F9D.jpg
    C28A4164-2DE3-4281-8542-E2DE9BF87F9D.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 40
I hope not, we started build last fall so this is our first summer...we our very happy with our choice. I’m trying to attach a photo of our gray steps and coping...hopefully it works

Attachments

• 9219B276-A514-4905-82B0-8A7C8F6F2108.jpg
    9219B276-A514-4905-82B0-8A7C8F6F2108.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 54
Rock and a hard place for sure. I am not sure what to tell you.................just throwing ideas out there to see what sticks:

-pool wall foam-see what the PB says about using that over the gunite to help "buffer" the vinyl from the gunite. If you add the shelf then you will have to add the cost of a custom liner so.......

-I have seen some vinyl kits that come with a shelf. Might want to look for them and see if they fit what you want.

Thanks for the response. I have found a kit with the liner over steel ledge & step, but I really need to find a builder before purchasing.
A geologist actually took a soil sample from the empty lot next door (for a potential buyer ) & supossedly said it was the worst soil sample he had ever seen. Believe it or not, no rock. Just terrible terrible ground here. Everyone has foundation issues. The ground tends to settle significantly, even after many many years. As you can see, it is so hard it cracks wide open in the summer heat, but the moment it rains, it turns to mushy mud.

One lady in my neighborhood has a 14 year oldvinyl pool. One end has "dropped" about 5-6 inches but she hasn't had any trouble other than the appearance of the obvious water level.

Ask the geologist about doing what I think is called "soil enhancement injections". I am not sure what they inject into the soil but it is to stabilize the soil. This might be something you want to check into.

Kim:kim:

We are meeting with a pool builder soon for plans & quotes. Please share pics & info on your pool experience with tanning ledges / baja shelves -- size, depth, the good, the bad, the ugly! Lol . What would you do differently?
We will be going with vinyl liner pool, & I am considering a request for gunite ledge built into vinyl pool, however, I know the builder has experience with the vinyl covered ledge.

Ok, meeting with our builder next week! I could not be more excited. We have decided to go with the 18x34 play/sport center wedge. 3.5 -5.5 - 4 depths. Roman end steps each end. I think I will be going with gray bullnose and gray steps.if anyone has gray steps, I would love to see your liner choice. Help with matching?!?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So did you see any you really liked? I almost can't wait until I need a new one. Some of those are so pretty!!

I spoke with my builder and they use Latham - mostly Kafko I believe. I really want to use the grey mosaic floor (no border) but I am afraid of snakes blending in ... we have timber rattlers here -- as in several a year in our yard! I am thinking about going with the Reef Floor. Do you think there are pros and cons to border and no border?

Both of those are SO pretty! I am also leaning towards the gray!

Border-my husband really likes a border. He just likes how it looks :roll: so a border we will get LOL As far as pro/con I really think it is just a matter of taste. I guess a con could be if something causes some fading of the part that is in or out of the water it might be more obvious without a border. That is just an idea I am throwing out but don't really think it will be a problem so......do what makes your heart happy!

Both of those are SO pretty! I am also leaning towards the gray!

Border-my husband really likes a border. He just likes how it looks :roll: so a border we will get LOL As far as pro/con I really think it is just a matter of taste. I guess a con could be if something causes some fading of the part that is in or out of the water it might be more obvious without a border. That is just an idea I am throwing out but don't really think it will be a problem so......do what makes your heart happy!

Do you think the grey steps and grey bullnose coping will fade / look bad in a few years? That is the plus for going with the white ... no fading

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.