Mastertemp 400 Shutdown Issue & E05 error

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
The part that was in the heater was probably from one of the top tabs of a grid where it goes into the top manifold.

If you took the grids all apart, I suspect that you would find one or more pieces missing.

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
This is an excellent thread, thank you for posting it. Gas heaters can be a real mystery to figure out sometimes and having these types of quick checks and diagnostic information really helps. Paying a service tech to come out for a heater can get real expensive, really fast. Anytime you DIY the repair, it’s big $$$$ saved.

Reactions: freebsdrules

freebsdrules

Sep 3, 2019
delaware
This is an excellent thread, thank you for posting it. Gas heaters can be a real mystery to figure out sometimes and having these types of quick checks and diagnostic information really helps. Paying a service tech to come out for a heater can get real expensive, really fast. Anytime you DIY the repair, it’s big $$$$ saved.
Couldn’t agree more. I’m not the handiest person but love to at least try to DIY first. Saved some $$ for sure!

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
Glad that it worked out for you.

Hopefully, it will work now without further problems.

When you get a chance, you should do a full breakdown of the filter and clean and inspect the grids.

If more parts break down, it can cause more heater problems.

The grids have already been replaced once, but they can be damaged by poor chemistry.

freebsdrules

Sep 3, 2019
delaware
Glad that it worked out for you.

Hopefully, it will work now without further problems.

When you get a chance, you should do a full breakdown of the filter and clean and inspect the grids.

If more parts break down, it can cause more heater problems.

The grids have already been replaced once, but they can be damaged by poor chemistry.
Thanks, I'm hoping. I was trying to avoid replacing the heater and I'm glad I did not as it seems that was just a symptom/casualty of other problems. I think I'm going to try to do a full breakdown when it's time to close the pool this year. That way, we can start clean next year!

Reactions: JamesW