Mastertemp 400 heater automatically turning on and staying on

hallco

Mar 17, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Hello I recently came home to my pool being heated on its own. The heater seems to be continually on. (and the vent air seems to be unusually hot as well)I can turn it off but then it clicks back on several seconds later again. So the only real way to have it completely off is to cut the power at the breaker. When the power is on, The temp read out jumps from seems to be the correct pool temp (about 65) to then like 250 then 100 and back to 65. After reading some other posts I disconnected the ribbon on the side of the control board to see if that made a difference but the heater still came on with that disconnected. Any thoughts? Thanks

Does your pool have any automation that your heater is connected to?

Please put details of your pool in your signature. It will help us help you.

Sounds like a bad membrane keypad. Did you disconnect the keypad at J6? Otherwise you probably have a bad control board.

2107603F-9F0B-4023-8E3F-B45A1B407D0B.png

Look at the way JMP3 is set and if you have wires connected to the External Contril Interface.

Could you tell me where that is located? Is there a way to test if that is it? Also I noticed a burn mark on the ribbon of the touch pad when I disconnected it. It also seem very brittle from being old. The heater still came on with that disconnected so that probably isn't part of this issue but i am thinking I should replace that as well??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don’t know of any way to test the control module other then trying a new one.

How old is your heater? Have you looked in the heat exchanger to see its condition and determine if it’s worthwhile putting new parts in it?

Its about 8 years old and the inside looks pretty good considering. I did replace the control board about 3 years ago. Considering the price of a new one I think its still worth putting in a few more parts. I think I will try a control module and see if that works.

I'd check your AquaPlus automation settings. You could put the AquaPlus in "Service Mode" at the main panel, turn on the pool pump (push "Filter" button) and see if the heater still comes "ON". If the heater does come "ON" you have a control issue. If the heater does NOT come "on" your issue is with the automation settings.
Regards,
E

OK great thank you I will check that out first. I also have ordered a new touch membrane to start with (just in case since I noticed a burnt part of the ribbon, which I figured can't be good in any event :/ ) and then I will go from there if necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.