Mastertemp 400 Control Board

drewhiggs

Silver Supporter
Jul 9, 2017
Georgetown, TX
I’m having issues with my mastertemp 400 control board. When I turn the heater on, from the app, the control board attempts to turn on, but then errors out and the display turns off. I can then manually turn on the heater from the control board interface, but it does not turn back on once the hot tub falls below set temp. Does the control board need to be replaced, or do I need to look at the pool control panel?

Below is a video of the issue.

Last edited:
Please load your video on YouTube and post a link to it.

When the heater is connected to automation, your EasyTouch, you always leave SPA ON and the temperature on the heater control panel set to 104.

In your video I see the heater coming on once you increase the heater set point. Set the heater to 104 and leave it there.

Ok, I hope I can keep this from becoming confusing. Below are some troubleshooting steps.

I manually changed the heater control panel to 104. Current spa temp: 94

I then moved the spa temp on the app to 95. The heater heated to 97 and turned off. Heater control panel shows 97 in spa mode.

I then moved the spa temp to 100 on the app. The heater control panel flashes error code AD0 for about a minute then changes to SE1 for a minute. The heater then changed to pool mode on the heater control panel while the app till shows spa mode is active.

Now if I change the app to pool mode and back to spa, the cycle restarts to the video I posted.

I agree that I should never have to change the mode on the heater. The control panel should be making the change. The heater started performing this way back in may. Before this, I never touched the control panel on the heater.

I then moved the spa temp to 100 on the app. The heater control panel flashes error code AD0 for about a minute then changes to SE1 for a minute. The heater then changed to pool mode on the heater control panel while the app till shows spa mode is active.

That is very strange as your heater does not show error codes on the display panel.

Your heater uses diagnostic LEDs on the bottom of the board to indicate errors.

Can you video this behavior and post it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I finally ordered the control board and installed it, but the display did not fix the issue. I started checking the fuse and line voltage and randomly it turned back on. I don't see any loose connections. After messing with it some more, it's still throwing the error ad0. After this error displays, it throws error sf1. It looks like I have a faulty thermistor according to error code sf1. I have it on order and it should be here tomorrow.

SF1 is not an error code; it is a program setting.

The membrane pad probably has a defective "Off" button.

1. Turn the power to the heater ON.

2. Press and hold the OFF button on the membrane pad until the 3-digit display shows “Ad0” or “Ad1” (about 10 seconds).

3. Release the button and then press it momentarily.

The 3-digit display will now show either “SF0” or “SF1”.

Board must be set to “SF1” for the heater to operate with a Stack Flue Sensor installed.

4. If the display reads “SF1”, it is correctly set.

If it reads “SF0”, use the arrow buttons on the membrane pad to set it to read “SF1”.

5. Momentarily press the “OFF” button to exit the program.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.