MasterTemp 250 not heating - Ignition Lockout

JerryPasadena

May 16, 2019
San Dimas, CA
Hello,
I am getting the ignition lockout signal on our pool heater. No other error code no led on the mother board. I have already replaced the igniter but that didn't help. Could you please suggest what else to check and how? I didn't find anywhere how to check if the gas is flowing in?
Thanks
Jerry

I went through the troubleshooting guide. I don't smell gas at all. I don't believe it is igniting. The new igniter has 90 ohms and there is around 50V when I switch the heater on. It seams to me the solenoid is not letting the gas in but I am not sure how to troubleshoot that. The heater light heating is normally on.

I don't have any info from the history but it could be year 2007. I have replaced the exhaust sensor in 2015 and since that time worked without any problems. We are not using it very often but approximately 2 months ago still worked perfect. There were no changes lately. The heater is connected to 240V.

If the igniter is not getting 120 volts, then I would suspect that you might need a new Ignition Control Module.

Verify that gas supply is open all the way to Gas Valve, and Gas Valve is set at “on” position. Check for 24 VAC to Gas Valve terminals during ignition try. (Voltage appears about 24 seconds after call for heat).

The air flow switch (AFS) senses the pressure drop across the air metering orifice.

As soon as there is sufficient air flow, the AFS closes, closing the circuit to the hot surface igniter (HSI), which ignites the fuel mixture.

On a call for heat, the blower and HSI are energized. In about 20 seconds, the gas valve opens and ignition occurs. The HSI then switches to a sensing mode and monitors the flame.

If the blower is running, check for 120 volts to the igniter. If that's good, check for voltage to the gas valve.

Do you have a picture of the sticker on the heater with the bar code?

At the age of the heater, do you really want to put a lot of money into it?

Last edited:
You can try an analog meter. If your meter is "True RMS" I think that it should read right. Does your meter say True RMS?

Are you sure that the gas valve is set to "ON"?

Are all gas valves on?

You might need to check the gas pressure.

Check the voltage going to the gas valve.

Unfortunately I don't have analog meter and I am not sure about the RMS. I have GE2524 multi meter. The gas valve has been all the time on. How could I test if the gas really comes to the heater? All the pipes are tight. I would have to disassemble the pipes.
I am trying to trouble shoot it before I buy something new because everything is so expensive. Tee igniter was $50 and that is probably the cheapest part of the whole heater.
By the way thank you very much for your time and help!!!

I was trying to measure the gas valve but I am not sure which wires since there are 8 of them. The two of them going down to the solenoid have 0V. Now the question is if I am measuring correct wires and also if the 0V is because of faulty board or some faulty sensor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks like your meter is not true rms.

There's more in the troubleshooting guide about measuring the voltage to the gas valve.

There is a pressure tap on the gas valve to check the gas pressure.

Don't try to get into testing gas pressure unless you have the right equipment and training.

Last edited:
Thanks. I will check the gas.
1/ Over all this conversation do you still have feeling it is most probably the Ignition Control Module? How about the main board? I remember the display on the main board showed strange characters 2 months ago but I switched off and on the breaker and everything was OK.
2/ You have mentioned to be better off with new unit but I was reading reviews on Amazon and there is no unit with good reviews. There is in the average 20% one star reviews and that is pretty bad. Would you have any suggestions? I have been keeping the pool in great chemical condition and the heater looks mechanically good. The only problem would be probably the electronic part.
3/ Do you have any suggestions what to check to be sure it is the Ignition Control Module?
Thank you very much for your help and for your time. I really appreciate it!!!

If the gas valve is opening, you should be able to smell gas at the blower exhaust. Do you not smell gas at all?

Does the "Service Heater" light come on?

Do any LEDs on the back of the control board come on?

Does the heater go through three tries to start with the blower running?

Does the LED on the Fenwal ignition control module blink three times?

Is the gas valve outside the heater on?

Can not smell gas at all, 0.
Service heater light off
No LEDs on the back of the board on
I am not sure how to find out if the heater goes through three tries. (pump and blower are too noisy)
LED on the ignition panel blinks three times
Outside valves are opened

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.