Apr 29, 2022
Webster, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Any help or ideas are appreciated here.

Opened the pool today. Everything went smoothly and is operating as it should with the exception of my Mastertemp 250.

The unit is firing. Heat is being exhausted the coil housing is hot, but the water is not warming at all. I called the company that installed the unit - and they said it was normal at this time of year and to let it run over night - sounded odd. Pool temp is 54 right now. I’ve set the temp to 70 just to see if I can feel warm water through the jets - but it feels exactly the same temp as the pool after a few hour of running. After some research could the internal manifold bypass be stuck closed? I do not have an external bypass. Am I risking destroying my heater here by taking their recommendation?

Any help here would be appreciated.

If the heater is running then the BTUs are going into the water as heat. If the water was not getting the BTUs the heater would rapidly overheat and the various high limit safety sensors will shut it down.

The maximum heater outlet temperature rise is 17F. So 54F in may give you 70F out. You probably cannot fell the temperature difference. 70F does not feel like hot water.

Reactions: 1poolman1
That’s a fair statement. I’ll move the temp up to 85 to see if I can feel the difference. I have a waterfall diving board so outside of the pool. I should def feel it there at that temp?

Moving the temperature up will make no difference in the heat rise or outlet temperature. The heater has a fixed BTU output regardless of the set temperature.

I don’t think your hand can tell the difference between 54F water and 70F water. Both feel cold.

Read here about heater temperature rise - Heater Maintenance - Further Reading

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.