Hector Arias

Jul 31, 2022
Nevada
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there. I was wondering if if can get any help in this situation. I hire a pool guy last February to install my pool equipment. Just to make the story short none of the is wire properly. He just used a 30 amp circuit breaker put a wire nut and connect intelliflo VS and heater together. I was able to separate this and dedicate a 20 amp GFCI Siemens recommended for this. Another 20 amp GFCI for intellibrite pool and spa LED lights. Another 20 amp not GFCI tendem single pole breaker. My sub panel is square D. So I got a master temp 400 natural gas heater that is factory wire for 240 vac. Since I want a dedicated circuit brakes as well; can I use regular 20 amp circuit breaker doble pole 240 v with a 12 awg even though the manual says 15 amp 14 awg ? And does it have to be GFCI which are more expensive $130 around or ever higher with Siemens brand. Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to TFP.

The NEC requires gas pool heaters to be on a GFCI CB.

The MasterTemp Installation Manual says:

The filter pump should run continuously when the heater is on, and for at least 5 minutes after the heater turns off. Any switches in the pump circuit (including circuit breakers) that can disconnect the pump must also disconnect the heater.

which is why your installer wire it the way he did.

If you choose to not follow the Installation Manual you can power the heater from a 15 amp GFCI CB with 14 AWG wire or a 20 amp CB with 12 AWG wire. Make sure you have the proper voltage plug installed in the heater for the voltage you have wired.

The heater ships from the factory with the 240 VAC plug installed according to the manual. I was wondering if there is a relay inside the easy touch pl4/psl4 which is what I have that cuts the power off when the pump shuts off. The pump that was installed is the intelliflo VSF and draws 16 amp. I already ordered the Siemens 20 amp GFCI breaker for it so should I just run a 12 awg wire to the heater and wire nut together with the pump that way if something happens both shut down ? Or is it safer to have each on dedicated CB ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.